G10 Display issues

JabbaJabba Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited January 29, 2009 in Cameras
Hi folks- I just got a G10 a few weeks ago and I've been getting to know it slowly. Today while taking some test shots with an attached flash, the display went all funky on me- reset itself to an image that looks like an infrared display?! No matter what I do, all I get in the display is an IR like image. I've tried resetting it through the menu and removing both the battery and the memory card- to no avail. Looked through the manual too- and didn't find anything that has helped. Any advice??? Anybody ever seen this with an LCD before? Help!:dunno

Comments

• JabbaJabba Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Looks like it may have been fried by the 580 II headscratch.gif Going back to Canon for a look-see.rolleyes1.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited December 26, 2008
    Jabba wrote:
    Looks like it may have been fried by the 580 II headscratch.gif Going back to Canon for a look-see.rolleyes1.gif

That's terrible. :cry

Will you send both the camera and flash (since it may have been a failure of the flash to cause the camera problems)?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited December 29, 2008
    Well- to be honest, I hadn't seen the G10 approved for use with the 580EX until just today- so I "forgot" to bring it up with them on the phone. The 580 seems to work fine with the D40 though. I put it back on the G10 to see if I could make the screen worse by shooting a few more shots- no change. It's probably not related- I've now dug deep enough into their website to find the 580/G10 approved for use together, I'm not sure that's part of the issue anymore.

I will say this- on a camera that's a month old, "send for repair" is pretty upsetting. I had a dive trip scheduled to use this set-up... now I'm outa luck for at least 2 weeks- probably more. My opinion of Canon has taken a hit in all of this. Their service dept arranges to help you, rather than actually helping you. What b.s. I called friday morning and I still don't have a shipping label. My fancy U.W. housing is gonna collect dust for a while~
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 29, 2008
    Interesting.

One of the advantages of the Canon G9 and G10, is their ability to work fully with the EOS system flashes.

Nightingale's G10 worked flawlessly with her 430ex this holiday.

Is this related to the flash or just a defective camera itself?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited December 30, 2008
    I'm pretty sure it's just the camera. The only reason I originally suspected the flash is that when I looked at the 580EX II on the web it did not list the G10 as compatible. Then I dug into the G10 area of the site and found the flash listed as being compatible. I panicked because I figured I had fried it by using too powerful a flash- hadn't even crossed my mind until the screen went *pop*~ I was searching for an answer and that popped into my mind when I couldn't find the G10 listed- that's all.

Note- after 4 days they finally got me a shipping label. Don't believe the 48 hours (and what's that all about?!?) they talk about~ I'm curious to see how long this will take~rolleyes1.gif
    edited January 28, 2009
    Took them about 10 days to turn my camera around. The display was faulty and they replaced it. I was fearing a refurb'd body- but they sent my original back to me with a new screen. Time to start playing around with the UW housing I bought myself for Christmas, along with the strobe and arm arrangement. Let's hope this thing holds up better from here on out~
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited January 29, 2009
    Jabba,

I have my fingers crossed for you and your future with the new G10. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums