DEAL: ste2 Speedlite transmitter at Amazon

divamumdivamum Major grinsRegistered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited January 5, 2009 in Flea Market
Just got the shipping notice on mine - should have it by Tuesday. Woohoo!

They're selling them here - NEW - for $165. This is what KEH is asking for them used, so it seems to me to be quite the deal. I have no idea WHY they're selling them off this cheaply, but they are...

Hope that may help somebody else who's looking!

Comments

  • NikolaiNikolai Darth SLR La LA landRegistered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Just got the shipping notice on mine - should have it by Tuesday. Woohoo!

    They're selling them here - NEW - for $165. This is what KEH is asking for them used, so it seems to me to be quite the deal. I have no idea WHY they're selling them off this cheaply, but they are...

    Hope that may help somebody else who's looking!
    Thank you for the info/link! thumb.gif Looks like too great of a deal to pass up... rolleyes1.gif Ordered! deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Lovin' It Newport News, VARegistered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you for the info/link! thumb.gif Looks like too great of a deal to pass up... rolleyes1.gif Ordered! deal.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif - Me too.

    Thanks so much for the link and information. I've been wanting one for some time now but couldn't justifiy the price. Fifty-three percent off is some sort of great deal!!
  • ShimaShima k3npo Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2008
    Wow! That's more than 60 bucks cheaper than what B&H is selling those for. I'm really tempted to grab one, but that would put my photography account near empty.... and I don't have a stand to mount my 580EX II on remotely yet, heh... so while I'm *super* tempted... I'm going to just look at it longingly and hold off for now. Awesome find though!
  • NikolaiNikolai Darth SLR La LA landRegistered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    Wow! That's more than 60 bucks cheaper than what B&H is selling those for. I'm really tempted to grab one, but that would put my photography account near empty.... and I don't have a stand to mount my 580EX II on remotely yet, heh... so while I'm *super* tempted... I'm going to just look at it longingly and hold off for now. Awesome find though!
    You can get a stand for $15. And for what I need it, I simply can hold 580 in my hand. I just hate cords....
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • VanquizVanquiz Major grins Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2008
    Wow, great find, I've been wanting this for quite a while, placed an order already.

    Thank you.
  • divamumdivamum Major grins Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    Glad this has worked out for so many folks! I was gobsmacked when I found it at Amazon - I'm not complaining, mind you, but I do wonder why they're selling them so very cheaply. eek7.gif?
    Shima wrote:
    and I don't have a stand to mount my 580EX II
    Nikolai wrote:
    You can get a stand for $15. And for what I need it, I simply can hold 580 in my hand. I just hate cords....

    Actually, I found an even better cheapo solution for that ministand today (I'm assuming you mean the little doohicky Canon flashes come with rather than A Light Stand per se) - not perfect, perhaps, but at only $5 I can certainly live with the shortcomings :D The flash clip for gorilla pods (just the flat plastic flashclip, not the pod itself). It stood up just fine with a 430 on it when we tried it at the store today to see if it would work - you might want to brace it/balance it with something to make sure it doesn't fall over if bumped or on a less-than-level surface, but it totally works (one could probably easily make the equivalent of miniature "sandbags" to stabilize it with a couple of bags filled with rice or something like that.)

    I am ALL about cost effective :D:D:D

    In addition to that, I got myself a shoe/umbrella swivel mount today, and I'll be attaching my 420ex via the magmount on my monopod (the Quantum version of the Trekpod). For now, it will do as a makeshift lightstand, I have the $5 part mentioned above if I want to use it a little less formally and move it around even more, and a superclamp will complete the setup for the time being. And I am SO excited about this it's pathetic - I have no doubt that as soon as I start playing with this I'll be on the slippery slope to wanting to upgrade the (all-automatic) 420ex for a 580, but baby steps, baby steps.... :D
  • tisuntisun Major grins SF Bay AreaRegistered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    Wow! That's more than 60 bucks cheaper than what B&H is selling those for. I'm really tempted to grab one, but that would put my photography account near empty.... and I don't have a stand to mount my 580EX II on remotely yet, heh... so while I'm *super* tempted... I'm going to just look at it longingly and hold off for now. Awesome find though!

    Shima, you have up to 30 days to return it. mwink.gif I bought it for $183 from Amazon last week and two days later saw the price at $175 and then the following day at $165. Too bad they ended their price guarantee policy in September. :(:
  • colourboxcolourbox Major grins Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Hope that may help somebody else who's looking!

    Oh god yes. Thank you. SO glad I held out this long to buy it...
  • ShimaShima k3npo Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Price is up to 170.10

    I would consider it, but really I'm pretty darn broke right around now. On that side note though, what stands do ya'all recommend for putting your flashes on? Specifically I'd be interested in mounting this during wedding receptions... so i'm looking for that kind of environment "light on a stick"
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Grinning...and bearing it Baton Rouge, LouisianaRegistered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    Price is up to 170.10

    I would consider it, but really I'm pretty darn broke right around now. On that side note though, what stands do ya'all recommend for putting your flashes on? Specifically I'd be interested in mounting this during wedding receptions... so i'm looking for that kind of environment "light on a stick"


    My...."light on a stick".....this is located in "weddings recources" sticky in the weddings forum.

    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=992414&postcount=13
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Goofy Grin MobtownRegistered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Up to 223 now (overnight) ...WTF is up with Amazon? Still available from Adorama for under 200.
  • divamumdivamum Major grins Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    It's arrived! Brand new, in box, pristine and WONDERFUL. Oh me oh my... OFF CAMERA FLASH!!!!

    (can you tell I'm excited?!)
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Lovin' It Newport News, VARegistered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    It's arrived! Brand new, in box, pristine and WONDERFUL. Oh me oh my... OFF CAMERA FLASH!!!!

    (can you tell I'm excited?!)
    Lucky you. I check my account and it's not due to ship until 2Jan2009 - but I went with the free shipping option. No worries, no rush as long as I get it.
  • NikolaiNikolai Darth SLR La LA landRegistered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    It's arrived! Brand new, in box, pristine and WONDERFUL. Oh me oh my... OFF CAMERA FLASH!!!!

    (can you tell I'm excited?!)
    Congrats! clap.gif
    First off-camera flash experience is mind boggling! I vividly remember the times..mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Lovin' It Newport News, VARegistered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Amazon lied to me this morning. I just got e-mail notification thet they have shipped today, via USPS. They say I should get it next Tuesday. Now I have to wait!!
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Grinning...and bearing it Baton Rouge, LouisianaRegistered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Amazon lied to me this morning. I just got e-mail notification thet they have shipped today, via USPS. They say I should get it next Tuesday. Now I have to wait!!

    I got a little supthin sumthin shipped to me today as well!!!!!:D

    Too bad I didnt have it for this afternoon's e-session!


    ...and I already HAVE the STE2....so it isnt that lil jewel. :ivar :ivar :ivar :ivar :ivar

    I hope you guys all enjoy it.....as much as I have praised it you are all gonna want my head if you are disappointed.:eat
  • NikolaiNikolai Darth SLR La LA landRegistered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Mine just arrived! eek7.gifwings.gif That was fast, especially considering free shipping option...
    The only bummer is that it requires special battery (2CR5, 6V) which, naturally, was not included. :cry rolleyes1.gif
    Luckily we have a pretty good store (Batteries Plus - highly recommended) that has it in stock for $11, and is open till 5pm today, so I still can get it :-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Grinning...and bearing it Baton Rouge, LouisianaRegistered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Mine just arrived! eek7.gifwings.gif That was fast, especially considering free shipping option...
    The only bummer is that it requires special battery (2CR5, 6V) which, naturally, was not included. :cry rolleyes1.gif
    Luckily we have a pretty good store (Batteries Plus - highly recommended) that has it in stock for $11, and is open till 5pm today, so I still can get it :-)

    Walmart....at least the one near me....keeps those in stock. I usually buy several at a time.....and the price is right.
  • divamumdivamum Major grins Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Ha! I read about that and made sure I bought one earlier in the week - I knew I would want to plug that thing in and start shooting immediately!

    I also discovered that i still had one from my Elan IIe, so I have two now :) Btw, I got mine at the local Ritz camera store and they were only $9, so I think that's perhaps on the high side... fwiw.

    Enjoy, Nik - mine worked without any problems (or reading the manual) and I'm still bouncing about the possibilities it opens up!
  • ShimaShima k3npo Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Congrats! clap.gif
    First off-camera flash experience is mind boggling! I vividly remember the times..mwink.gif

    Urbanaries allowed me to first experience off camera flash at the wedding I second shot with her, and it really is an experience to remember!
  • bobcanbobcan Audio Guy with Camera ;-) SK, CanadaRegistered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    STE-2 Low Light Focus Aid...
    * * As a Side Note here on the STE-2, it ALSO is an excellent Tool to aid Focusing in Low Light situations when shooting without a Flash... the Auto Focus points are given a chance to "see" the Subject much better!!

    Obviously NOT for use over a great distance though... but it REALLY works well!!

    Ciao_ thumb.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Darth SLR La LA landRegistered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    bobcan wrote:
    * * As a Side Note here on the STE-2, it ALSO is an excellent Tool to aid Focusing in Low Light situations when shooting without a Flash... the Auto Focus points are given a chance to "see" the Subject much better!!

    Obviously NOT for use over a great distance though... but it REALLY works well!!

    Ciao_ thumb.gif
    True, true. thumb.gif
    You can also illuminate the subj by pressing exposure activation button on the camera and get the focus while it poures a stream of light on the target. A bit tricky, but totally doable. You need the flash however ne_nau.gif
    All in all, wonderful toy, especially for the price!clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • colourboxcolourbox Major grins Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Blurmore wrote:
    Up to 223 now (overnight) ...WTF is up with Amazon? Still available from Adorama for under 200.

    Welcome to Amazon dynamic pricing. The demand must have triggered the repricing algorithm. I saw it go from $165 to $208 to what I see now, which is $212.22.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Drive By Digital Shooter western IndianaSuper Moderators Posts: 14,658 moderator
    edited January 4, 2009
    Me too. I thought maybe I was just the unlucky one!ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

    Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • divamumdivamum Major grins Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    THANKS for posting that article - I've been wondering all week what was with the price fluctuations. Sorry to those who missed the deal if I pushed the price up by buying one (and posting about it!), but I'm beyond excited to have that little gem in my bag - it's great!!! :D

    ETA: I think Adorama has grey market ones for $179....
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Lovin' It Newport News, VARegistered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    THANKS for posting that article - I've been wondering all week what was with the price fluctuations. Sorry to those who missed the deal if I pushed the price up by buying one (and posting about it!), but I'm beyond excited to have that little gem in my bag - it's great!!! :D

    ETA: I think Adorama has grey market ones for $179....
    I'm glad you did post about it as I was able to get in on the deal, $167 was my delivered price. Got it on Saturday! BNIB - now to find the time to play with it some.
Sign In or Register to comment.