Leaf in a Fountain - C&C Requested

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited December 29, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
EDITED POST:

I took the comments and re-processed my shot. I did not boost the exposure as much in Aperture, and I also backed off a bit on contrast and sat b/c I noticed too much noise. Please give me some more C&C. Thanks!

Lauren

#1 Original Post
441115626_7zKBU-M.jpg

#2 Same shot, with extraneous leaves removed.
444288139_MVoex-M.jpg

#3 Same shot, with leaves removed and processed in HDR (3 exposures)
444291973_ufAnx-M.jpg

#4 Similar to original, with a little different crop and more leaves included
444289502_joCRE-M.jpg

#5 Wider view, to give more context - no PP on this one at all
444286570_JjwZw-M.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Lauren, I like the picture and the pp you did. I think that it would be better without the leaves that are on the face of the fountain. Like the one in the right hand corner and the brown one bottom left... They are for me, distracting.

It is a really good picture......thumb.gif
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2008
    Pretty cool. Azzaro mentioned the smaller leaves on the facing walls: I personally think they add to the composition. The color of the bottom left leaf is pleasing, and balances. My concern would be the one on the top right that looks to be a lump. I also sort of worry about the highlights along the ridge or spine, but it does help to add to the 'waxy' and 'embedded' look of the top, and that's a component I really like about this. Thanks for sharing, and I hope my critisisms don't delude that I had fun looking.
    Growing with Dgrin

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2008
    Thanks to you both--my PP consisted only of a levels adjustment and maybe a bit of contrast boost. I don't remember--my hard drive went kaput just before Christmas and I'm still getting reorganized. I had copied lots of files, esp. photos, and the techs were able to restore almost everything to the new hard drive. Still, it is disconcerting and I'm trying to get back in the groove.

All that to say that I'm not sure what my PP was on this pic, just that it was minimal. I will try a couple versions with and without the other leaves and post for C&C. Not sure about the highlights, leaforte--can you give me a bit more specific suggestion?

Thanks!! The more I look at this, the more I like it. I also have one that shows a wider view. Will post that with the others later.

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2008
    redleash wrote:
    leaforte--can you give me a bit more specific suggestion?
    Lauren

I'm not a technical person, just a pesky critic. I felt some glare on the ridge, but I'm not really sure that bothers me, the more I look at it. I am not good at technical advice, I just like to look, and tell how it impacts me, or not. To reiterate though, I like the waxy feel of the shot.
    Growing with Dgrin

edited December 29, 2008
    Guess I shoulda bumped this one up instead of just a straight edit. I'd like some more comments when ya'll have time to look at this.

Thanks,
    Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Hi, Lauren. I didn't see this first go around. You took care of most of the comments I would have made with image #3. The original post had some glare. The only other comment I have is that IMO it messes up the comp by having the tip of the leaf cut off. ne_nau.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
    edited December 29, 2008
    arctic - Thanks for looking. I agree about the tip of the leaf. I'll go back and crop the wide view one and delete the excess leaves and see what happens. Not sure if I have enough exposures to do that one in HDR but I will check. And I can always go back to the fountain to see if the leaf is still there! :D

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com