Would you please critique this photo. Rip it up folks... Thanks, Ernie

3098670535_55cb5ca3b0_o.jpg

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    egiesker wrote:

I'm not going to rip it up, I like it :D
    If it would change anything it would be to lighten up the darker area where you cannot define one leaf from the next, and work on that little blown out area on the main leaf.

I love the light on that one leaf, and the shadows that are seen through it,
    also the viens in that leaf.

Lovely shot Ernie clap.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • egieskeregiesker Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Modified Photo
    egiesker wrote:

3098670535_55cb5ca3b0_o.jpg
    New photo... I think your right, l like this one better. Thanks, Skippy
  • david-lowdavid-low Registered Users Posts: 752 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Leaves are one of my fav. I like the pic with the different layers showing various tonality and depth and the shadow cutting across make the pic so much interesting.
  • erisian popeerisian pope Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    First, let me say these are both very compelling images. Many B&W treatments (especially ones I try) don't have enough interesting tonal range in the grays, and these both really succeed there. Plus the lighting and the glow effect are really eye-catching.

I actually prefer the darker image - the richness of the blacks feels like velvet to me. I also think the out-of-focus areas in the second picture are a little distracting (this is most noticeable to me in the top area of the second picture). But let's talk more about the first image (my favorite). The one thing I would consider changing is I would be tempted to crop a little off the top and the right sides. The top and right sides both have a lot of empty space and allow the eye to wander away from the subject too much. From the top I would try cropping down to just above the gray leaf on the left side of the frame. That will intersect the perpendicular leaf in the middle, but that's ok because you also have the leaves on the left intersecting the frame. Then on the right side I would crop about the same amount off (taking the new edge to about where the gray leaf on the bottom-right of the group is).

Anyway, that's just my opinion and may not actually improve anything. You might try it, and if you do you might not like the change at all. It's just an idea.

But overall, both of these pictures really interest me a lot, and that goes double for the first one.
    - Christian
    My Web Gallery
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    All I can say is this shot (the original) would look great framed on my wall next to the other leaf shot I have hanging! Absolutely beautiful!
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    I'm new to photography, but I think Christian's suggestion about cropping would make the branch
    come from the top right corner of the frame increasing the composition effect.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited December 31, 2008
    Back lit leaves
    OK folks, I'll give it a try. After all that's what these critiques are all about. I will repost when done. Thanks to all..Ernie :D
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Ernie,

Those are indeed nice photos & conversions.

For me, I would like to see the main attraction not centered. As other have stated, cropping could accomplish this due to the picture already being captured.
    Randy
    edited January 2, 2009
    Back lit leaves
    The decision has been made............mwink.gif The original will stand as is! I tried the crops, the lighter version, and the one l really liked is that one. A big thank youclap.gif to all who responded, l really do appreciate it, Ernie
    edited January 4, 2009
    Back lit leaves
    All I can say is this shot (the original) would look great framed on my wall next to the other leaf shot I have hanging! Absolutely beautiful!
    By all means go ahead and print out a copy for yourself...If you can't print one big enough from here, let me know and I'll send you a bigger one. Thanks for comments, Ernie