ELVIS Lives!

InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
edited December 27, 2008 in Cameras
Sorry - another pun. A user on another forum came up with the term ELIVIS for these new EVIL cameras so not to offend people. Anyway, Santa delivered one such camera this Christmas, a Panasonic G1 and 14-45mm lens. I've not gotten around to setting up a proper gallery (i.e. on Smugmug yet) but here's a quick and dirty Flickr set from a Christmas day walk. All accept the last photo in the set are out of camera JPEGs, the last being a quick and dirty raw conversion,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jason_hindle/sets/72157611579358289/

As these are evaluative photos, full size images and EXIF are all freely available.

Handling wise, the new electronic VF (EVF) has to be seen to be believed (think FF sized with 100% FoV on a camera the size of a Canon S3IS) and in daylight works extremely well with customizable guideline and histogram display. For the photos above, I didn't need to look at the articulated LCD once. One thing a die hard DSLR user might find discomforting though....... The point where you push that shutter button all the way, there's no satisfying slap of the mirror and suddenly, for just a moment it feels like a point and shoot camera. Other than that, it's quick and responsive.

PROBLEMS?

My view of the camera is that JPEGs (with the exception of out of camera B&W) are not as good as the JPEGs I get out of my Olympus E-510 but the RAW files seem quite usable.

Another problem is that if you like to shoot wide (and I do, since getting the Olympus 9-18 a couple of months back), your only option at the moment is an Olympus 4/3 lens via an adapter (which is hard to get hold of at present) and the only Olympus UWA lens that will auto focus is the 9-18.

Finally, I'm sure Apple will get around to supporting this camera in Aperture (at some point, eventually).

Regards
J

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited December 27, 2008
    Congratulations on the new camera. clap.gif

How fast and accurate is the autofocus compared to other cameras you might be familiar with?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2008
    Auto focus is about as fast as other DSLRs I've used (thinking the Nikon D40, Olympus E-510 and Panasonic L1). I've never had my hands on a real pro level DSLR so cannot compare.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited December 27, 2008
    Internaut wrote:
    Auto focus is about as fast as other DSLRs I've used (thinking the Nikon D40, Olympus E-510 and Panasonic L1). I've never had my hands on a real pro level DSLR so cannot compare.

That's amazing. thumb.gif

I will definitely have to seek out one of these jewels to see for myself if it would fit some of my needs.

Thanks,
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums