black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited December 29, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Old school house, deep in the woods.....in use from 1870 to 1941

444188681_5FJ3M-XL.jpg

Blue Ridge Parkway near Doughton Park

444188577_Aqmyz-XL.jpg

Mabry Mill on BRP in Virginia

444188661_65eYx-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    Wow, Tom! These images have convinced me that I live in the wrong part of the country: Southern California has suddenly lost its charm, for me. rolleyes1.gif

Absolutely beautiful shots, especially those of the buildings. Great colors and detail. thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    Super nice series Tom. I am always amazed at the old buildings you find. Up here in the northeast, the windows would be smashed and the interiors gutted while the outside would be covered in graffiti. What lens did you use on these?

BTW hope you had a nice Christmas and wishing you a happy and healthy new year.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    Howdy Tom,

Merry Christmas,

Beautiful Colors and the Subjects are so neat, I have always wanted to Visit this area, after seeing these, another place on the List!!!

Very nicely done!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    Southern California has suddenly lost its charm, for me.

Unfortunately, I've come to the conclusion that SoCal is photogenicly sterile. So much so that I've run out of ideas of what to shoot that isn't cliche. But that's a whole 'nother thread.

That being said, these are gorgeous shots and they make me wish I lived back east again.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    Hi Lee,

Thanks for your kind remarks. These Appalachian mountains are so full of charm and beauty, and magnificently interesting people, it's hard for me to stay away very long.

Stay well, my friend.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited December 28, 2008
    Hey Jack,

I sure appreciate your comments. I spend a lot of my time in the mountains getting way off the beaten path, just to find old buildings like these. The old school house was REALLY isolated. All these shots were made with one of my favorite lenses.....a Tokina AT-X PRO 20-35 mm 2.8. It's one of my few non-Nikon lenses, but a great one.

I wish you the very best in the coming year.

Tom
    edited December 28, 2008
    Hi Craig,

These mountains....the places and the people.... hold a special appeal for me. I hope you can include the area in your travels one day. You'll be glad you did. I can only imagine what beauty you could expose with your spectacular skill with the IR treatment.

Take care, my friend.

Tom
    edited December 28, 2008
    Hi Chuck,

Thanks for looking in. While I live in Florida, I spend as much time as possible at my NC mountain house. I'm up at the crack of dawn and don't get home before dark....getting out into those woods to record all the beauty that they hold.

Happy new year.

Tom
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    What can I say that hasn't already been said......GREAT JOB TOM.....thumb.gif
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Old school house, deep in the woods.....in use from 1870 to 1941
    Blue Ridge Parkway near Doughton Park
    Mabry Mill on BRP in Virginia

The old wooden school looks in pretty good nik,
    is that a little bell tower on the roof?

Mabry Mill looks to be a very interesting place to explore,
    bet its been photographed thousands of times over the years.

That place would look great shot in B&W, IR, Colour, Sepia,
    I'd love to see it with snow around it..... dream on Skip rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for sharing Tom thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited December 29, 2008
    Hi Skippy,

Thanks for looking in. The school house is quite amazing. The interior looks like the kids left for the day and just never came back. I'm sure some of the appointments go back 130+ years.

Mabry Mill has probably been shot millions of times....I myself have shot it in all seasons, under all conditions. I'll bet you and Craig could produce some stunning images of the place in IR. I've tried B&W, but, honestly, my mind thinks color and I'm never quite happy with my efforts in other effects. I need to work on that.

Happy New Year.

Tom
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Nice set.thumb.gif I can understand why you would re-visit that mill many times. It looks like a really cool place to image.
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
    edited December 29, 2008
    Hi Dan,

Thanks for your comments. I have shot this scene many, many times. This time was totally unique for one reason.....I was the only one there. This is a place that's usually crawling with folks. Maybe it was because of the brutally cold day that I was alone but it was a little erie to experience the place that way.

Tom