Options

Pawsox vs. Mudhens

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited May 16, 2005 in Sports
I read the great thread "So you want to shoot sports?" over the weekend. It was perfect timing since we were going to a AAA baseball game on Sunday, and I tried to use some of the techniques I read about.

I decided to take my old S1-IS because I don't have much reach with my 300D yet (max 75mm x 1.6), whereas the S1 gets to about 330mm. It's obviously not as good, but I was able to get a few decent shots.

This guy was out by a mile stealing 2nd. The S1 doesn't focus very quickly, so I was only able to get this by using one of the techniques I had just read about. I focused on 2nd base, and kept my other eye open. When I saw the shortstop moving toward 2nd, I figured that the runner was trying to steal and I was prepared for it.

22178528-M.jpg

The next inning I got cocky and figured I had this technique down. Everything worked great, except I got twitchy and fired too early.

22178518-M.jpg

The technique also helped with the shutter lag of the S1 and I got a few good batting frames like this one.

22178483-M.jpg

Another technique from the article: try to get faces and effort.

22178506-M.jpg

Overall we had a great day at the park (even though we lost in 11 innings), and after the game the kids got the go in the field and run the bases. How cool is that?

Comments

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 16, 2005
    DJ,

These are all very nice. You got some action and some nice faces thumb.gifthumb.gif

Even shooting continuous it's tough to capture that perfect moment of action ne_nau.gif Like a runner sliding into the glove, or the ball leaving the bat rolleyes1.gif Ya done real good, IMO. clap.gif

I really liked that article too. Thanks again to Ian for posting it :):

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero