The Most Interesting Show In the World (possibly PG)

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited December 30, 2008 in People
Literally, that's what it was! Jim Rose is known for his traveling side show and a friend of ours was in the lineup so we went when the circus came through.

Unfortunately, our friend the sword swallower wasn't performing that night, but it was very entertaining show nonetheless. We had contortionists, drag queens, breakdancing, circular saws, lawnmowers, lounge acts, and sultry burlesque. What else can you ask for on a Thursday night?

It was dark. It was crowded. This combination meant that I was using my fast 50mm prime (f/1.4), but was unable to get any manual zoom! :D

We began with the amazing acrobat, Lilia Stepanova. A fresh, upbeat twist on the concept of flexibility:

442253103_FGF8U-XL.jpg

442253223_msWed-L.jpg

Next was the stunningly beautiful burlesque singer, Melody Sweets. I have never heard a voice like that, and since then I've been hooked!

442253335_EK9yN-XL.jpg

442253720_SJB8U-XL.jpg

442253479_6Re5r-L.jpg

442253589_E7yXQ-XL.jpg

The World's Most Dangerous Comic, Mark Faje. He has deadly accuracy with a whip and can juggle circular saws, but the most impressive... er, confusing trick he does is stick a live scorpion in his pants while he catches a bowling ball on his ear. I wasn't sure of the purpose of the scorpion, TBH:

442267332_FxuqX-L.jpg

They made salad onstage by throwing lettuce at the lawn mower balanced on his chin:

442267516_ghbFb-XL.jpg

Then there was Johnny Fayva, the Lizard of Lounge, always winning the hearts of women while wailing Neil Diamond tunes:

442272550_RGAps-L.jpg

442272713_VdmMu-L.jpg

And it's easy to see why:

442273550_uMreu-L.jpg

Melody had a second set, with a very different look. She's so nifty:

442279587_RYQVh-XL.jpg

442279697_sQNwB-XL.jpg

And finally, Leonid the Magnificent, a 7-foot tall whirlwind of glitter and feathers. He could swing a hula hoop on his bumme and balance a sabre on a piece of string:

442292026_CKvs5-L.jpg

442291817_8CUEq-XL.jpg

Naturally, the crowd went wild:

442267667_edVBF-L.jpg

I think any future gigs I do as an event photographer will need to include a more flexible zoom. :lol3

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    WTG Schmoo, very well done post :D
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    This is seriously good.

Great sequence of images!clap.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    Looks like a fun show, and you covered it good! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited December 29, 2008
    Nice, colorful set. Well done.
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    great shooting Schmoo! clap.gif I love the blond guy with the heart shaped pasties! what fun!rolleyes1.gif

Winston
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    WOW. That IS an impressive show and some awesome photos!! clap.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Very well done!thumb.gif

It looks to me like the 50mm prime was up to the task. Out of curiousity, what choice would you have made for a zoom....24-70?

Thanks for sharing!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Thanks guys! Wish I'd managed to get more shots of the actual high points of these acts, but I didn't remember to switch the AF to AI Servo until at least 2/3 of the way through lol3.gif

Jeff, good question. I have never used the 24-70 before, but I just wanted some more flexibility on the focal length. Primes are great but I had no room to get closer, so I did a lot of cropping in post.

I think the tradeoff for stage photography is that the dramatic lighting is already done for you, as are the great colors. They made that part very easy on me - the trick was just getting something sharp. thumb.gif
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Nice shooting. I also think that one of the challenges in shooting a show is not knowing what is next so it makes it hard to get everything framed right - at least for me. Nice shooting and good story.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Great series. Thanks for sharing these interesting photos!
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Nice shots Schmoo. Very interesting venue.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Really nice set of shots. It's fun to look at them and your commentary really makes me want to see the show.

I think you did a great job.

Virginia

Email
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    My fav's are no. 5 and first shot of Leonid.
    Good off center, nice timing, feather, and the red lighting says burlesque alright.

Lots of emotion of that first shot of Leonid coming through.