Snoqualmie Falls (with a surprise)

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited December 30, 2008 in Landscapes
So, I got a new camera (Canon 5D MII). I don't have an L-Plate for it yet (it's been ordered from RRS, I have no idea when it will arrive), in the interim, I went and got the standard arca-swiss plate so that I could use the camera on my tripod. And man does it suck! (it works as designed/intended, but an L-plate it so much better, if you don't have one, I would suggest that you get one ASAP, it's so frustrating taking vertical shots without one).

I was going to shoot some smaller waterfalls and forests, but when I got to the trailhead, it was still covered by a foot of snow, so I turned back and went to Snoqualmie for some macro shots. The sky started to clear a little as I got there so I made a quick detour to Snoqualmie Falls, which was at peak form due to the snowmelt.

It was kicking up a lot of spray so I didn't get many keepers (I didn't have anything to wipe my lens).

444548291_iEACX-L.jpg

And now the surprise, while messing around with live view I accidentally tripped the video recording ability of the camera :D Hopefully this will give you some idea of the power of the falls, next time I might try and do this on purpose for better results.
<object width="640" height="362">

<embed src="http://photos.coscorrosa.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008120101.swf&quot; flashvars="s=ZT0xJmk9NDQ0NTYzNTA5Jms9RjZoRkQmYT0zNTIwMzM0X0NYOFk2JnU9Y29zY29ycm9zYQ==" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="362"></object>

Update: Here's the link to the full size movie: http://coscorrosa.smugmug.com/gallery/3520334_CX8Y6/1/#444563509_F6hFD-A-LB

Comments

• RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    Wow! Love the falls! I want to get out there once I get back to Seattle!

Also love the video. Amazing quality on that! Makes me jealous! :D
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    That's great, Ron! I loved watching the movie and hearing the power of the falls. Thanks for including that bit!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    very cool Ron what lens were you using 16-35mm 2.8 or?.

Ray Still
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Simply spetacular in deed!wings.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    very cool Ron what lens were you using 16-35mm 2.8 or?.

Ray Still

Yep, that's the one! Really nice on a FF sensor too (although now I can't get away with hand-holding a GND filter as my hand ends up in the frame, I'll have to adapt).
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    redleash wrote:
    That's great, Ron! I loved watching the movie and hearing the power of the falls. Thanks for including that bit!

I always thought that big/huge waterfalls are more impressive in person than in a photo (and I thought the reverse of smaller waterfalls), having the video with the sound does help to put it in perspective though. I wish I had a longer clip, maybe next time.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Awesome! Makes me wanna dig out my DVD of Twin Peaks! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • CoreheadCorehead Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Whoa! Nothing like seizing the opportunity!thumb.gif

I doubt that even the salmon can jump THOSE falls! That is, if the drift netters leave any to try anymore.

Steve-o