>DSS #15 (Family or Strangers) Feedback

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited January 2, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi guys! Another great round! :clap

The gallery is ready for you all to start giving eachother feedback here:
http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/6811595_a9n7K#438050120_DrzWK

Please, try to be as constructive as possible. It's what makes this community such an awesome place. :barb

All general comments, top tens, etc., can be placed in this thread.
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    sorry i didnt think of this before... feedback entered from "Pictureworks" is me, i know some of you know that, but fyi i will add my name to my comments next time!thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited December 30, 2008
    Emily, on the first image (leaforte - Friends helping Strangers) i entered feedback that was meant for bigsky (the third image)...could you fix that for me?
    Aaron Nelson
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Emily, on the first image (leaforte - Friends helping Strangers) i entered feedback that was meant for bigsky (the third image)...could you fix that for me?

Done. thumb.gif
    Emily

edited December 30, 2008
    Here are a few general notes from Divamum:

I had to keep reminding myself that the theme was "Family and Strangers" rather than "relationships", but there's no doubt that the images with a really strong sense of a relationship in them had more impact on me. Sometimes that was interaction between the parties, but in a couple of cases it was the strong interaction between the subject and photographer which captured me. In most cases, the photograph told me a story, but still left me unanswered questions; the story was clear, but enough mystery was there to let me fill in the blanks with my own interpretation.

Several images kept me coming back to them and asking myself over and over WHY I wanted to include them; in the end, I'm not entirely sure I know the full answer, but I figure if I went back to them that many times then they obviously had enough of an impact on me to include!

There were several images that were very VERY "near misses" - I wish I could have included those but, alas, 10 is 10, and thus I had to leave some out that I really enjoyed.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    Emily

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    What am I doing wrong?
    I'm logged correctly into Dgrin with my user ID and password and when I make a comment in the gallery I show up as "challenges":

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/6811595_a9n7K#439686713_vHHNr

Can someone please tell me what's happening? I'm using Firefox as my browser. :help
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    I'm logged correctly into Dgrin with my user ID and password and when I make a comment in the gallery I show up as "challenges":

Can someone please tell me what's happening? I'm using Firefox as my browser. :help

You need to be correctly logged into your Smugmug account. Sounds like you had the challenge login.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
    edited December 30, 2008
    richtersl wrote:

Linda, try signing out and back in, and remember to refresh the gallery.
    Emily

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    You need to be correctly logged into your Smugmug account. Sounds like you had the challenge login.

11doh.gif

Thanks. :D
  • RobPetrulloRobPetrullo Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited December 30, 2008
    second time ive entered this contest and my photo is no where to be found on the poll or contest vote.

this is getting out of hand, another thing is you keep the submission period open for a week or longer and yet the voting is done in one day, just doesnt make sense
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    second time ive entered this contest and my photo is no where to be found on the poll or contest vote.

this is getting out of hand, another thing is you keep the submission period open for a week or longer and yet the voting is done in one day, just doesnt make sense

Your image has to pass through two judges to get to the poll. It's kind of like a final, not something that happens automatically.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
    edited December 30, 2008

this will help you.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=101510
    Aaron Nelson
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008

Well, you've a long way to go before you catch up with me. I've been in pretty much all of the LPS and Challenges, and my images only made it to the vote on maybe three tries. I can't tell you to learn exactly what I've learned here, but pretty much when I don't make it to the vote, it's because my image was either total $%&@, or the other entries were just that good, or both. Generally a group of photographers at all levels trying to help each other out. Mods are volunteers, and judges are the same.

Where'd you get "one day?" Entries are open for two weeks, usually close on a Monday, and polls stay open for pretty much 4 days.
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 31, 2008

Rob, I'm sorry you are upset. However, it is obvious (even to other competitors) that your grasp of not only the rules, but the contest format itself is severely lacking.

We're happy to help, all you have to do is ask - but we really don't appreciate these curt posts of yours.

Share, ask, shoot.

thanks,
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    This image makes me feel that I'm the stranger here, voyeuristically peeking in on someone's private moment--not a comfortable feeling. The way the foreground plant slices across her body adds to the sense that this was a hastily snatched glance. If she were in a more flattering pose and the jumble of rocks were eliminated, the image would be stronger.

thank you for the feedback but one thing

I had to say something to the comment [not a comfortable feeling]

The theme was family or strangers -- the entries became relationship there was 3 shots that may have been strangers ?? My shot was not well done that said your comment about the rocks, etc., right on. Not a comfortable feeling -- then my shot worked. If I had posed her talked with her she would not be a stranger if it was a man reading a book would you be bothered.?
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    jwear wrote:
    This image makes me feel that I'm the stranger here, voyeuristically peeking in on someone's private moment--not a comfortable feeling. The way the foreground plant slices across her body adds to the sense that this was a hastily snatched glance. If she were in a more flattering pose and the jumble of rocks were eliminated, the image would be stronger.

thank you for the feedback but one thing

I had to say something to the comment [not a comfortable feeling]

The theme was family or strangers -- the entries became relationship there was 3 shots that may have been strangers ?? My shot was not well done that said your comment about the rocks, etc., right on. Not a comfortable feeling -- then my shot worked. If I had posed her talked with her she would not be a stranger if it was a man reading a book would you be bothered.?

I did not mean the comment about discomfort as a negative criticism. I could've been more clear: your image puts the viewer in the position of a peeping tom very effectively, and so played very creatively with the theme of 'stranger'. So I liked your approach to the theme. I made the comments about the pose and rocks to point out how final image could've more strongly supported your concept for the image. I well understand the difficulty (impossibility?) of doing everything that in retrospect we might see as improving an image. But it still makes sense to point these things out nonetheless.
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Halite wrote:
    I did not mean the comment about discomfort as a negative criticism. I could've been more clear: your image puts the viewer in the position of a peeping tom very effectively, and so played very creatively with the theme of 'stranger'. So I liked your approach to the theme. I made the comments about the pose and rocks to point out how final image could've more strongly supported your concept for the image. I well understand the difficulty (impossibility?) of doing everything that in retrospect we might see as improving an image. But it still makes sense to point these things out nonetheless.[/quote

I should have pmed you, I took the one comment badly sorry Jeff
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    FWIW, I added feedback for all entries (and if any were missed it was an oversight not intentional, so please let me know!).
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    FWIW, I added feedback for all entries (and if any were missed it was an oversight not intentional, so please let me know!).

Thanks for running the show diva and for all the critiquing. Whatever happened to the results?
    edited January 2, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Thanks for running the show diva and for all the critiquing. Whatever happened to the results?

Oops...sorry, I missed manually closing it again (got carried away with real life). I'll have to start setting a reminder. :cry Hang tight...
    Emily