Options

Engagement shoot advice

TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
edited December 31, 2008 in Weddings
I've been enlisted to shoot my brother's engagement pics (just popped the question last week) and a friend of his fiancee had actually asked me a week before that to do his sometime in January. So, I need advice/inspiration/guidance as this is new to me. People shots are my weakest I think and since it's winter here, everything outside is gray and blah - am I going to have the rig a studio? Any pointers/sites I should be aware of? Thanks.
panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
Sony F717 | Hoya R72

Comments

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    TristanP wrote:
    I've been enlisted to shoot my brother's engagement pics (just popped the question last week) and a friend of his fiancee had actually asked me a week before that to do his sometime in January. So, I need advice/inspiration/guidance as this is new to me. People shots are my weakest I think and since it's winter here, everything outside is gray and blah - am I going to have the rig a studio? Any pointers/sites I should be aware of? Thanks.

No, you don't need a studio....as these are more often than not shot outdoors. If it is dull and drab outdoors then be sure that you keep the sky out of the photos. Go to your downtown district. Use brick walls or other interseting archetecture as a backdrop and use warmer white balances to beat the drabs. Get them ONE nice head and shoulders type shot for the newspaper, then have fun getting shots concentrating on having them interact with each other and NOT you. There is an abundence of exemplary work for engagements if you look in the right place.

Try searching the "weddings" forum on dgrin for engagement or e-session.
  • Options
    roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    This is really aclap.gif excellent photograph!
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    roentarre wrote:
    This is really aclap.gif excellent photograph!
    What is a really excellent photograph? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    What is a really excellent photograph? headscratch.gif

You better check that out Ivar....might be some kind of cheery bot telling us all our shots look great when in reality....eek7.gif

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    You better check that out Ivar....might be some kind of cheery bot telling us all our shots look great when in reality....eek7.gif

rolleyes1.gif

Too funny...
  • Options
    rspartsrsparts Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    I did my sisters engagement shoot back in August at a local college. It helped a lot that the couple was comfortable with me and that they trusted me enough to do some of the things I asked them to do. Since it's your brother, he's already very comfortable with you.

Just because it's winter doesn't mean your pictures have to be bland. Try taking them out at night when the city lights illuminate the snow. Or wait until a closer date to the actual wedding...maybe by then, the foliage will have started to grow back.
  • Options
    fcorin13fcorin13 Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    I actually have an e-session scheduled for the first snow that's not on a Sunday! I think the biggest thing is to find somewhere they are comfortable. Are they ok with having random people watch while they have their picture taken or not? If not, then find somewhere a bit more private (i.e. a smaller park or a nearby home), but if they are ok with it- get creative! I've done e-sessions at the zoo, Union Station, a large park, and more! I'm looking forward to one in downtown St. Louis in 2 weeks, too! We're gonna be down by the ballpark & then finish up by Union Station. Just remember- check & see if you need a permit to shoot places! I know that around here, the Botanical Gardens & the Arch & some other "public" places require permits. :) It's always good to at least get premission first!