Selling D2X

NikonadamusNikonadamus Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited December 29, 2008 in Cameras
Hello all. I'm looking to sell my Nikon D2X. It has become a paperweight since I got two D300s back in April. Anyone with selling experience willing to help a novice?

Comments

• Matt518Matt518 Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Might I suggest listing it in Nikon Land in the Flea Market? Put as much info about it as you can, including number of actuations, what's included and post some pictures of it. I'm sure someone here will buy it in short time.
    Please do not copy, edit, rehost or repost my images without permission.

We must look at it. We're required to look at it. We are required to do what we can about it. If we don't........who will? - James Nachtwey
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    I just sold my D200 on ebay with no trouble. You of course have to be very careful how you list it and watch out for scams. Don't take bids from someone with very little feedback for example. Provide plenty of photos of the camera and a detailed description. I got a great price for mine even though it was a D200. Ebay doesn't take anything but PayPal now for normal bids so you've got a little more protection built in now too. Sold my Sigma 10-20 on ebay too...again, no trouble. You have to learn how to spot suspicious bidders and remove any bids you think are bogus...but be sure to tell people in the listing you'll remove bids from suspected scam artists and have them contact you if they think you removed their bid and they're really legit. I don't like listing on ebay, but it's hard to resist the big audience and higher sale potential. Heck, some guy bought a PS3 from me and it was a year old (although mint) and he paid almost exactly what was paid for the unit new. Go figure. You'd be surprised what people pay for things.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Since you are new here (wave.gif - HI!), if you have any feedback on any on-line buying/selling forum (EBay, etc), include a reference to that as well. Anything to increase your credibility is a big plus. Also, maybe offer to talk to the prospective buyer before closing the deal - a voice over the phone is sooooo much reassuring than an impersonal on-line post.
  • NikonadamusNikonadamus Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited December 29, 2008
    Matt518 wrote:
    Might I suggest listing it in Nikon Land in the Flea Market? Put as much info about it as you can, including number of actuations, what's included and post some pictures of it. I'm sure someone here will buy it in short time.

Thanks!
    edited December 29, 2008
    kygarden wrote:
    I just sold my D200 on ebay with no trouble. You of course have to be very careful how you list it and watch out for scams. Don't take bids from someone with very little feedback for example. Provide plenty of photos of the camera and a detailed description. I got a great price for mine even though it was a D200. Ebay doesn't take anything but PayPal now for normal bids so you've got a little more protection built in now too. Sold my Sigma 10-20 on ebay too...again, no trouble. You have to learn how to spot suspicious bidders and remove any bids you think are bogus...but be sure to tell people in the listing you'll remove bids from suspected scam artists and have them contact you if they think you removed their bid and they're really legit. I don't like listing on ebay, but it's hard to resist the big audience and higher sale potential. Heck, some guy bought a PS3 from me and it was a year old (although mint) and he paid almost exactly what was paid for the unit new. Go figure. You'd be surprised what people pay for things.

Much appreciated! Ironically enough, I was pondering a PS3 purchase with my son in Circuit City Saturdayrolleyes1.gif
    edited December 29, 2008
    Matt518 wrote:

Thanks Matt! UsedCameraBuyer offered just $520 and I know it's worth at least a little more than that. How do I target actuations? Sorry for my lack of knowledge but I'm more of a shooter than clicker. Gotta learn to balance both.
  • nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Use one of these on a jpg straight from camera, not photoshopped. Kuso also reads NEF files.

Opanda
    http://www.opanda.com/en/download/index.html
    scroll down for the freeware version

In the column heading of Entry, make the column wide enough to see the whole listing and look for "Total Number of Shutter Releases for Camera"

Kuso Exif Viewer <-- also reads from NEF
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Digital-Photo-Tools/KUSO-Exif-Viewer.shtml

Column marked Item, look for "ShutterCount"

Simple EXIF Viewer for Mac OS X
    http://homepage.mac.com/aozer/EV/index.html

Look for "Camera Actuations"

Thanks Matt! UsedCameraBuyer offered just $520 and I know it's worth at least a little more than that. How do I target actuations? Sorry for my lack of knowledge but I'm more of a shooter than clicker. Gotta learn to balance both.
  • Matt518Matt518 Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008

If you want to get an idea of how much it's worth (or at least what they sell for), do a search on craigslist. The following is an easy way to do so: in Google search box, enter Nikon D2X site: craigslist.org and click search (It works for anything, just replace Nikon D2X with whatever you're looking for. thumb.gif ) Best of luck.
    Please do not copy, edit, rehost or repost my images without permission.

We must look at it. We're required to look at it. We are required to do what we can about it. If we don't........who will? - James Nachtwey
    edited December 29, 2008
    Use one of these on a jpg straight from camera, not photoshopped. Kuso also reads NEF files.

Opanda
    http://www.opanda.com/en/download/index.html
    scroll down for the freeware version

In the column heading of Entry, make the column wide enough to see the whole listing and look for "Total Number of Shutter Releases for Camera"

Kuso Exif Viewer <-- also reads from NEF
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Digital-Photo-Tools/KUSO-Exif-Viewer.shtml

Column marked Item, look for "ShutterCount"

Simple EXIF Viewer for Mac OS X
    http://homepage.mac.com/aozer/EV/index.html

Look for "Camera Actuations"

Thanks! That worked...78,924. Better switch my D300s from "CH" to "S!"