Options

It's cold in Yosemite

ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
edited January 9, 2009 in Landscapes
I spent most of the Christmas holiday within thirty miles of Yosemite so my son and I just had to make time to get down to the valley floor to see how much snow there was and to field-test the new lightweight tripod Santa brought me.

We came in on Hwy 120 from the west-northwest (Big Oak Flat Road) and had to engage four-wheel drive at the entrance. Two-wheel drive vehicles had to put their chains on before leaving the gate area. I didn't pull over to get any shots at the entrance because there was already a line of cars and I had 4-wheel drive.

Speed limit down to the valley floor was lowered to 25 mph but most cars were going well below that. The roads were interesting (but not difficult)....cleared up for a while below about 5,000 ft but that was because that stretch is in the sun. Just before the valley floor, the layer of packed snow and ice returned (due to being in the shadows).

We arrived mid to late afternoon and grabbed a quick snap of Half Dome and El Capitan before heading all the way down to the valley floor:

445160541_A6EqR-M.jpg

It didn't look like much snow from up there and the Ahwahnee webcam's pic wasn't clear enough to be certain either. But when we got to the valley floor, it was just perfect. Enough snow to be very interesting but not enough to make you miserable trying to get around.

We took this along the first pullout we found before Bridal Veil Fall:

445158972_M233F-M.jpg

Bridal Veil Fall was flowing kind of thin which had allowed lots of ice to build up around the edges and made it a little difficult to tell where the water stopped, the ice started, or where the trees began (too much white everywhere):

445172478_jD7SB-L.jpg

We took that shot from the parking lot since the drive down from the entrance had taken so much longer than normal and we wanted to try to catch the late sun on either Half Dome or El Cap.

As we crossed the river near the base of El Cap, there was a cool looking blanket of fog in the meadow. We stopped long enough to grab a few shots and every time we looked up from the camera, the fog was noticeably thicker. Since there was a convenient little peak between us and the sun, I was able to shoot sort of into the sun for this shot:

445159546_aGVqv-M.jpg

By the time we got to the "River View" pullout, the fog was really starting to pile up:

445157153_n2hdP-L.jpg

The light on El Cap wasn't very compelling so we focused on other things for a few minutes. There were cool snow covered rocks in the river, ice along the banks, snow-laden trees... I was out there in November before the weather turned cold and it was amazing how different it looks in such a short span of time. Here's a quick shot taken across from River View while waiting to see if we'd get better light on El Cap. This was before I read a suggestion in another thread thread that landscape shots like this can look cooler if shot from really low (so I want a rematch with that spot to see if the tip helps):

445156414_xhwGc-M.jpg

Remember the fog I kept mentioning? It just kept coming...

445155762_qoUd2-L.jpg

We normally would try a long exposure shot across the water at that spot right as it gets dark. But with the fog steadily increasing, it would've just been a big grey blob.

So, we headed home a bit earlier than usual. On the climb back up above Cascade Falls, looking down the valley to the west (over the top of that old barn in the big meadow with the burned out trees), we saw a fantastic sunset.

The only place to pull over and try to capture it was the road to Foresta and I didn't think blocking the road would go over well if a Park Ranger happened along. There's a pull out just above that...which we discovered was one of the un-cleared/closed pullouts. :cry

The next pullout we came to had a completely wrong angle for the shot. Aw well, at least we got to see it even if we didn't get to shoot it. Maybe next time...

Comments

• Options
    shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Wow- it truly is cold in Yosemite. Nice shots...

Cheers,
  • Options
    Dwayne OakesDwayne Oakes Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Great photos and told well !! Thanks for posting.

Take care,

Dwayne Oakes
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    think the 4th shot with the trees in the foreground surrounded by the mist has a nice look.
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Awesome series, Thwack! thumb.gif

I really like the 4th one!!
    I'm insanely jealous you made it to Yosemite... my girlfriend and I spent last week about an hour and a half drive from the park but didn't make it over there... even though I tried my best... rolleyes1.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    Thanks for taking a look and especially for the kind words. It's a great place to try new things. The snow and the fog had me taking pics this time in places I normally blast right past.

And everything there changes so quickly! Here's a shot of Bridal Veil Fall from the beginning of last month from the same general area of the parking lot (this one is probably a half dozen parking spaces closer and shot from a lower tripod setup I think):

407853052_qUp3j-M.jpg

A smallish cold front had come through and leaves were changing color it seemed from one day to the next. Here's another view of the same waterfall a mere two weeks earlier (mid-October) when it was seemingly about to stop flowing completely:

399860925_DDJ6D-L.jpg

The really surprising thing in the November pic was the amount of flow in the Fall (it didn't seem like we had a meaningful amount of rain from that front but it made a huge difference in Bridal Veil's flow!).

I was curious what the flow would be like this week given that we'd had a couple good cold fronts move through this month. I'm hoping to get back down there about New Years. There's another waterfall further back in the valley that really builds up ice around where it hits. I didn't have a camera with me a year ago when I noticed that so hopefully I can soon add it to my photo collection... :D
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Awesome series, Thwack! thumb.gif

I really like the 4th one!!
    I'm insanely jealous you made it to Yosemite... my girlfriend and I spent last week about an hour and a half drive from the park but didn't make it over there... even though I tried my best... rolleyes1.gif

Sorry you didn't get out there. Next time, tell her how romantic Yosemite can be (though maybe you want to avoid mentioning "Bridal Veil" when discussing waterfalls... rolleyes1.gif ).
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    The pics of El Cap in the fog taken from River View required a different angle than I used when shooting from that pullout back in mid-October. I was there for a 3-day photography getaway weekend with a buddy and shot this from a spot that's now under ice/snow/water (or any combination of those):

406395919_98qAe-M.jpg
  • Options
    NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Numbers 3, 4, and 5 are awesome thumb.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2008
    Numbers 3, 4, and 5 are awesome thumb.gif

Thanks!

I went back today and the roads have cleared considerably in the three days since I shot the pics that started this thread. Chains aren't needed until about 3 miles past the entrance gate instead of right at it. Most of the road to the valley floor is clear though the valley floor's roads are still icy.

Didn't get a chance to take pics this time. Camera goofed (something ate my battery's charge...should have still have plenty of life left). Poked around the shops, grabbed a burger at Yosemite Lodge, etc. Skies were very clear so I don't think I missed any cool sunsets.

Looked like Half Dome had enough moonlight after sunset to make an interesting long exposure shot (which is when I discovered the battery croaked). eek7.gif

It still amazes me how quickly things change there.
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Gorgeous shots, my favorites are the two with the fog, excellent!
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    Went to Badger Pass today to let the kids play in the snow for a bit. Roads were in worse shape than last time (we had rain yesterday not far from the park so probably freezing rain and snow in the park).

No good shots from around Badger Pass, but got the following from the parking lot of the ice rink at Curry Village about 5:30pm (long exposure with very minimal post processing):

448324243_DbTQz-M.jpg

Temps were in the twenties in lots of places. Very icy in the parking lot by Curry Village. But worth it I think.

Back to the grind tomorrow. It was fun vacationing near enough to Yosemite to be able to hit it several times (got my money's worth out of my annual pass in just the last week or so). :D
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Awesome vacation, Thwack!
    And excellent shots all the way around! clap.gif

Good luck getting back into the grind... it's tough after such a great vacation!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Awesome vacation, Thwack!
    And excellent shots all the way around! clap.gif

Good luck getting back into the grind... it's tough after such a great vacation!

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, going back to work after that much time away from the pace of Silicon Valley has been a huge grind. Too bad there's no "snooze bar" on life that works for situations like this.... rolleyes1.gif

I'm hoping to get back out there in late Feb to try for a classic "firefall" shot at Horse Tail Fall!
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Fantastic !
    Amazing place
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 8, 2009
    Great stuff, Thwack. I missed this set the first time around. I like the fog shots as well. Very mystical. Easy access to Yosemite is one of the things I miss about living in the bay area.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2009
    Fantastic !
    Amazing place

Thanks for the kind words! Even when none of my shots are worth showing, it's still great to get down there.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Great stuff, Thwack. I missed this set the first time around. I like the fog shots as well. Very mystical. Easy access to Yosemite is one of the things I miss about living in the bay area.

Cheers,
    -joel

wave.gif

Thanks for taking a look and for the feedback. Sorry about making you homesick though... :D