Zion "smoke"

TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
edited December 31, 2008 in Landscapes
here is the last image i have of Zion from this year,

i try really hard to not redo what is already out there...hows this one?

btw, its my favorite treatment for the setting so dont knock it too much:thumb

445271917_SNnt6-XL.jpg
Aaron Nelson

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008

btw, its my favorite treatment for the setting so dont knock it too muchthumb.gif

bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Magniwesome! (TM)mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    thanks Nik!

havent seen you doing DSS, take a look at the next theme....(you have been missed !)
    Aaron Nelson
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited December 30, 2008
    btw, its my favorite treatment for the setting so dont knock it too muchthumb.gif

Whoa! That's a stunner!
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008

This is exceptional! You have such amazing talentbowdown.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    This is unexpected from the typical shot taken there. It is wonderful. The mountain side is so detailed with this finish! NICE.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Love it Aaron. Good work clap.gifiloveyou.gif
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Love the composition and the pp! It's funny for me to read references to the 'standard' images of Zion. Since I've never been there and haven't looked at any Zion photo books, I don't know what the standard views are. I do know that, standard or not, your approach gives a great sense of Zion being a magical place. clap.gif
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Halite wrote:
    Love the composition and the pp! It's funny for me to read references to the 'standard' images of Zion. Since I've never been there and haven't looked at any Zion photo books, I don't know what the standard views are. I do know that, standard or not, your approach gives a great sense of Zion being a magical place. clap.gif

I absolutely agree!!

Amazing photo Aaron! thumb.gif

Print it! Print it nice and large! It would look extrodinary on metallic paper!!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Wow! Extra-fine work Aaron.
    Anybody can do it.
    edited December 30, 2008
    thank you everyone, those are very kind words from you and they lift my spirits!

Halite, you need to visit. i would hope i could go with you....
    sad thing is i only get there 3-4 times a year....
    its kinda like being a surfer, living on the beach only to goto work everyday instead of surfing....
    Aaron Nelson
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Aron,

I think this is a very nice image. The composition, PP, and over all feel works well here.

I would however recommend printing this on Hahnemuhle photo rag, (or similar) to enhance the soft warm feel of the image.

Sam
    edited December 30, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    Aron,
    I think this is a very nice image. The composition, PP, and over all feel works well here.

I would however recommend printing this on Hahnemuhle photo rag, (or similar) to enhance the soft warm feel of the image.

Sam

Sam, i will keep that in mind, ive never used that before... ive used the canon rag before and never found a match...but now you point it out i think you are right on this one!

CW, im still on the fence with metallic.... i have a few 5x7 test prints of bryce canyon on metallic....so im just going to sit on the idea for awhile...
    for me metallic really looks nice on sunset beach images.... but im limited on those shots...i gotta get down there soon!!!!
    Aaron Nelson
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Sam, i will keep that in mind, ive never used that before... ive used the canon rag before and never found a match...but now you point it out i think you are right on this one!

CW, im still on the fence with metallic.... i have a few 5x7 test prints of bryce canyon on metallic....so im just going to sit on the idea for awhile...
    for me metallic really looks nice on sunset beach images.... but im limited on those shots...i gotta get down there soon!!!!

I've seen a few shots with rock/stone textures in them on metallic and really liked the effect, but it's not for everyone (truthfully I haven't printed one of my own on metallic yet), plus I've never used the type of paper Sam recommended either...

Anyway... come on down for some beach sunsets!! I've got a few places picked out I need to get to for sunsets and would be happy to share! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited December 30, 2008
    thank you everyone, those are very kind words from you and they lift my spirits!

Halite, you need to visit. i would hope i could go with you....
    sad thing is i only get there 3-4 times a year....
    its kinda like being a surfer, living on the beach only to goto work everyday instead of surfing....

It's going on my must visit list then. I know the feeling about working in, but not adequately being able to take advantange of, a great spot: NYC feels that way to me sometimes.

My brother-in-law was just showing me some images printed on gorgeous rag paper--I forget the name, but I'll check with him. This paper really excels with the kind of subtle tonal variations found in your image and has a gorgeous white. Metallic would be interesting, but it tends to print more contrasty in monochrome images. So you would likely lose some of the subtle tonal gradations that make this image so strong.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Great shot Aaron thumb.gif
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    clap.gif

Very nice shot Aaron. Love the mood and the composition.

I would listen to Sam on the paper choice. I don't think this would show best on metallic. Rag or something softer with more texture is the way to go.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited December 31, 2008
    The paper I referred to in my previous post is Hahnemuhle Bamboo. This paper just glows and handles subtle tonal variations tremendously.
    edited December 31, 2008
    thanks everyone!

Halite, thanks for getting that info, i will put in a request to a few people and see which master printer is going to do it for a poor boy...

let me ask you, how was it framed? under glass? was is wrapped ? or flat on gator board?
    Aaron Nelson