My Husbands Family - Christmas

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited December 31, 2008 in People
We travelled to my sister in laws for Christmas this year, first time ever. We are very rarely all together, last time being 3 years ago at Christmas at the parents. I took group photos that year, but the result was terrible. This year, although I know things could be better had I had proper lighting, I am quite pleased. Since this is about everyone BUT me, I can live with the really uncomplimentary angle that I managed to get on myself! :rofl

445114108_7v9oz-L.jpg

I managed 4 shots ( the kids had to get out of their sweatpants and back into 'nice' clothes after dinner, so were impatient) and I think 3 could print!

ann

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Nice shooting Ann! Glad to see the off-camera lighting is working for you! clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Thanks, Nik, but I have a secret: on camera flash, pointed at the high ceiling (as I do not have a remote and couldn't figure out if the PW should fire the 580EX) and we augmented that with a desk lamp to the camera right, but I think it was too low and produced the shadows on the faces.

ISO 1000 - now I couldn't sort out if I needed that ISO since I had the flash, but test shots sure indicated it was necessary.

I am enrolling in a lighting course, because I just struggle all the time with lighting.

ann
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Nice shooting.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Nice Ann, it really does look like an off camera flash.
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    A beautiful family, for sure. clap.gif
    Growing with Dgrin

• neastguyneastguy Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    nice pic.. I really like except for the guy without the socks or shoes.. it distracts me ....ne_nau.gif
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Really nice shot! Tough to take well-lit photos of such a large group due to the light fall-off on the sides.

I think the lamp you added on the right hurt you more than helped. It produced some shadows and an unnatural looking brightness on the right in an otherwise subdued photo.
    edited December 31, 2008
    edited December 31, 2008
    neastguy wrote:
    nice pic.. I really like except for the guy without the socks or shoes.. it distracts me ....ne_nau.gif

Laughing.gif - a detail that I clearly missed until quite recently ( my daughter pointed it out!)

ann
    edited December 31, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:
    Really nice shot! Tough to take well-lit photos of such a large group due to the light fall-off on the sides.

I think the lamp you added on the right hurt you more than helped. It produced some shadows and an unnatural looking brightness on the right in an otherwise subdued photo.

Hi Mitchell - thanks - I agree about the extra light and the harsh shadows. That side of the room had a much lower ceiling than the center of the room. I can't remember if that would have affected the light in that area or not. Anyway, my sister in law was being 'helpful' and grabbed the little desk light, and I really didn't take the time to evaluate the whole thing.

I am wondering about adding a vignette to this - that might tone down the bright light on the bottom of the chair a bit, and the top edges of the photo are pretty blah.

My winter goal, as I've said before, is to really get a grasp on people photography, and I appreciate your comments and help!

ann
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Very nice =)
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Laughing.gif - a detail that I clearly missed until quite recently ( my daughter pointed it out!)

ann

I thought that was on purpose. Showed how it was just a casual family day. I liked it.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact