Mission in Carmel (HDR)

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited December 30, 2008 in Landscapes
Just a few shots I took during my trip from SoCal to Norcal last week. I took a lot of photos so it's going to take a few days to go through all of them but last night I was bored and fooled around with these.

This series is of the mission in Carmel - San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo. Beatiful place. We actually visited 7 of the missions on our trip up and this was my favorite.

These were all done in Photomatix. I took 7 bracketed exposures of each at 1EV each. I used the metered and -2/+2 EV exposures to compose the HDR. I haven't really played too much with HDR processing. I tried not to go too overboard with the treatment but I did have some fun with it. The one of the hall I did push a bit more than the others though. I know HDR is not everyone's favorite but I thought these were good candidates just to practice.

C&C is welcome as I am still learning.

445330505_jX33G-L.jpg

445341900_3b2vL-L.jpg

445342547_CqxLr-L.jpg

445343329_LVdci-L.jpg

445343840_S2VTc-L-1.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Very nice sequence. I like the tone mapping you used as they don't look over processed. I particularly like #1 and #5 for the details present.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    I *love* this place! thumb.gifiloveyou.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • kitvankitvan Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Very nice sequence. I like the tone mapping you used as they don't look over processed. I particularly like #1 and #5 for the details present.

I agree word-for-word clap.gifclapclap.gif
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 30, 2008
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Number one is excellent!! thumb.gif

And spot on in terms of the processing... lots of detail and no "over-done" look... great job!!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Thanks for all the compliments. Glad you like them. It was a very memorable trip. It's funny because my wife and I were just commenting that this road trip that we ended up spending under $800 total ranked up there as being just as memorable as are more exotic vacations we taken in the past. And it's right in our own "backyard". Being both native Californians, I guess we take are beautiful state for granted.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • jstpeterjstpeter Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    I like to see things in HDR that a normal single exposure just could not capture. So me my favorite is #3. With the different exposures between the light through the windows and the shadows of the wood underneath the roof, I think this by far is your best HDR. This shot would be next to impossible with out a HDR treatment. All the others are good shots as well, but for HDR #3 you maximized the potential.
    Would love to hear from you on my blog, or website!
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    I'll vote for #1, but they'll all really nicely done. The choice of subjects was smart.

Nice work
    Rags
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Excellent series--really enjoyed these.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com