Need help with one of my shots from Moab

elmoelmo Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited January 4, 2009 in Landscapes
I just can't decide which one to go for whether it be straight black and white or the one with a touch of color.

445536577_H6GaH-M.jpg

445536524_DrPWp-M.jpg

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Selective color is loved by some and scorned by others, so it's completely up to you. I prefer to see a space with great detail and beautiful shapes in the land rather than have my eye guided for me by spots of color.

You have great composition in there already in the lines of the trees and the horizon. I think giving it a bit more contrast, pumping up the exposure a little would more than make up for lack of color if you decided to go that way! thumb.gif
  • PhotopaddlerPhotopaddler Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    A tough choice indeed, while the added color does chatch the eye, personaly I prefer the shot without the color added. To me the texture desert and the mountain work well, the added color distracts me. Great shot!clap.gif
  • erisian popeerisian pope Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Here's one more vote for the straight black and white shot. I agree with Schmoo that a touch more contrast might enhance your photo a bit. Nice shot!
    - Christian
    My Web Gallery
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Based on the feedback here we did a slightly different version that's what was actually submitted.

445848855_uPMQU-M.jpg

- cabbey (elmo's photoshop monkey / husband)
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • elmoelmo Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Thanks so much for the help you guys. I did end up adding a little bit more contrast to the shot as well as add some gradient to the sky.

Hopefully I will be able to meet some of you over in Acadia National Park at the shootout.
  • PhotopaddlerPhotopaddler Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    elmo wrote:
    Thanks so much for the help you guys. I did end up adding a little bit more contrast to the shot as well as add some gradient to the sky.

Hopefully I will be able to meet some of you over in Acadia National Park at the shootout.

The adjustments you made are really good. I live and work in Bar Harbor so if you want some local advice or just to go kayaking in the area stop by for a visit. I can be found at Aquaterre Adventures 1 West St. Bar Harbor. Autum is one of the best times to be in Maine, bring fleece, the nights and some days can be quite chilly that time of year.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    elmo wrote:

It needs more pop. Holler if Cabbey needs help with that :D
    edited December 31, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    It needs more pop. Holler if Cabbey needs help with that :D

Andy can you be a little bit more specific? It seems as if my personal photoshop monkey is taking a little bit of a holiday or maybe it's a strike. ne_nau.gif But I will probably play with the shot some more when the little guy gets down for bed tonight.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    elmo wrote:
    Andy can you be a little bit more specific? It seems as if my personal photoshop monkey is taking a little bit of a holiday or maybe it's a strike. ne_nau.gif But I will probably play with the shot some more when the little guy gets down for bed tonight.
    Sure - it's more black & grey than black & white. It needs more white. Even auto levels would give you an idea of what I mean :D
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    The black and white after you add some pop to it.
    The color in the color version look manufactured.
    edited January 1, 2009
    Tried to add more pop and here is what I came up with:

446269568_wopRY-M.jpg

Any other suggestions? Is it better pop wise or does it need something else?
    edited January 1, 2009
    Created a new shot with some additional contrast for the trees:
    446307310_3G7cp-M.jpg

What do you think?
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    I think the second to last version you posted is the best so far! I'd love to see it bigger, too. I think the last one is a bit too bright in the trees, as you end up losing a bit of detail in the highlights.

Both are a big improvement! WTG! :D