Bavarian Landscapes Test

boulderNardoboulderNardo Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
edited December 31, 2008 in Landscapes
Out here in Europe for a few weeks around the Holidays.
Had a chance to shoot out in the Bavarian countryside and forests today - great light around 3pm, took hundreds of shots, lots of trial & error... Going to start with this one first.

Critique REQUESTED :)

I'm messing around with the levels in Lightroom, I have a lot of exposures of the same shot and am playing with HDR but also with purposefully underxposed shots like this one. I'm still very unsure about how to get a 'correct' exposure in conditions like those - might have to read some Ansel Adams books :D

445628505_PDvjJ-L.jpg

Thanks!
_Bernardo
Canon 1D MkII, Canon 17-40 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 50 f/1.4, Canon 100 f/2
Bogen 055XPROB
Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS, FreeLite A, Skyports, 3x Vivitar 285HV

Comments

• PhotopaddlerPhotopaddler Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Very nice! I really like the low light in the fog, the overall darkness of the shot helps to portray the mood or feeling of the forest as the light begins to fade.thumb.gif
  • boulderNardoboulderNardo Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Tried my luck with B&W conversion on this one.
    Still learning about B&W conversions - they're DIFFICULT!!!

445639967_w8oxN-L.jpg

Very nice! I really like the low light in the fog, the overall darkness of the shot helps to portray the mood or feeling of the forest as the light begins to fade.thumb.gif

Thanks! That's exactly what I was trying to get through - the picture reflects the mood I was feeling in that forest, despite not being 100% visually accurate. Thanks for the input!
    Canon 1D MkII, Canon 17-40 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 50 f/1.4, Canon 100 f/2
    Bogen 055XPROB
    Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS, FreeLite A, Skyports, 3x Vivitar 285HV
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Looking forward to seeing all your shots from this area. It's gorgeous!

I do think the shadows are a bit too dark and no detail, but I agree that the contrast of this situation is tricky. Fantastic light beams, though. Of course you don't want to lose those!