Canon Body Seals

RokdktrRokdktr Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited January 5, 2009 in Cameras
Hello all,

I've been lurking around for awhile on different forums reading reviews, checking out pics etc ( I have way too much time at work with not much to do lately..;)) Seems like a Dgrin is a nice forum with lots of good info and some truly excellent pictures!

Anyways, I'm currently running a 40D, and I love it. I run pretty much all 'L' series lenses, eventually planning on the move to full frame. I've been between waiting a bit and planning on buying a used 5D once the mark 2 is readily available and the Mark 1 prices fall a bit more, or maybe waiting and picking up a Mark 2 this summer.

My choices have been skewed a bit after some snowshoeing and hiking this last little while and I got thinking about the ruggedness of the bodies and what the real differences are between the 5D mark 2 and the 1Ds mark 3 would be? Are the 1Ds series that much tougher? I can easily say I am very hard on equipment :dunno....but not a Pro-Pho by any stretch. I spend 80% of my time in the 'wild' so to speak wackign and scrambling my way up to inspect rocks and such (geologist), so I don't mind paying a bit for the extra mile of hard use resistance.

Are the 1D series that much more rugged? Or is the main price difference for the other features of the bodies? I am starting to see 1Ds mark 3's with similar pricing to a new 5D MK2 up here in Canuckistan.

Comments

• Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    If you photograph in the outdoors and are tough on your equipment, then the 1D series may definitely be the way to go. They are built pretty darn tough. Much more so than the lower lines.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited December 30, 2008
    Rokdktr wrote:

Are the 1D series that much more rugged? Or is the main price difference for the other features of the bodies? I am starting to see 1Ds mark 3's with similar pricing to a new 5D MK2 up here in Canuckistan.

Rokdktr, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

The Canon 1D/1Ds are very durable, weather sealed and with the fastest and most accurate focusing section that Canon makes. They also have the most durable shutter and mirror assemblies. Part of the weather seal is the lens itself and not all lenses are weather sealed. Those lenses that are weather sealed usually depend upon a filter to complete the front seal.

I still would not push the seals if avoidable. An external watershed is always indicated in a downpour and the cameras are not designed to be submerged, of course.

A sealed body does require fairly regular maintenance to assure the seals are still intact and functional. Basic cleaning is important in both salty and dusty environments.

If you are truly hard on bodies and lenses some form of body and lens "armor" might be indicated.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Rokdktr wrote:
    Seems like a Dgrin is a nice forum with lots of good info and some truly excellent pictures!

Welcome Rokdktr. This is truly the nicest forum you'll ever meet.
    I spend 80% of my time in the 'wild' so to speak wackign and scrambling my way up to inspect rocks and such (geologist), so I don't mind paying a bit for the extra mile of hard use resistance.

Are the 1D series that much more rugged? Or is the main price difference for the other features of the bodies?
    Ask yourself, aside from the money, can you afford the size and weight?
    I am starting to see 1Ds mark 3's with similar pricing to a new 5D MK2 up here in Canuckistan.

Then it's a scam. Caveat emptor!
  • RokdktrRokdktr Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Thanks for the info people....glad to finally get into a photo-forum.

In response to the comments....size vs weight are not a big deal when comparing the two. I've handled both a 5D Mk1 and the 1Ds, thats not an issue for me...most of my time is spent hiking...if I was climbing or doing extended day trips I might be more considerate, but my time is spent on 2-6 hour day trips for the most part.

I try to travel with the camera in a case, and any type of seal I get is mostly for the dust and "airborne moisture". It's interesting to learn that the shutter are more durable though....another plus? I have been known to drop my camera in the snow during a wipeout on steeper slopes while snowshoeing though....and a good seal would be best. I've thought about a housing but wow.....they make the cameras look cheap! :D

And as far as pricing....I've been comparing used 1Ds mark 3's to the price of a new 5D Mk2....and by close I mean within 1 - 1.5G....I almost a bought a used 1Ds up here for $4500 Cdn.....which is a within $1G to the $3500 Cdn for a 5D Mk2 with a grip and spare battery. I was hesitant because it was used (no warranty) and I still had not decided to try full frame or not. My fault for not mentioning the 'used' part...lol.

I'm leaning toward waiting for a decent deal on a 5D Mk1, then picking up the next couple fast lenses I have been after for awhile (50 f1.2 and a tilt shift of some design).....decisions decisions. It's also a tough decision because I make no profit from my cameras other than providing clients with a nice photo portfolio of rock / sample pics from various jobs that other consultants do not do....a nice "I go the extra mile, so keep me working advantage".

It seems like the 1Ds do have a nice 'tough' appeal though....maybe I'll hold out and see if a 1Ds Mk4 shows up???
    :hide
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Ahh, "used" would explain it. Pardon.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 3, 2009
    The original 5D is a fine camera, but you do not want to take it out into the cold, wet and damp. It will fail. There are numerous reports of folks using a 5D in the rain for a relatively brief period, who find their 5D suddenly non-functional. The newer 5D Mkll is supposed to be sealed a bit better.

My personal experience was in the January ice storm of 2007. I was photographing shots for a talk on the Sante Fe trail in Missouri ~1820. My camera and I were in my truck and would just jump out for a few minutes to shoot a few frames and then get back in my truck. The weather was drizzle at 28 degree F, so there was ice accumulating on the roads. After a few hours of this the frames in my 5D began to turn a very black vignette after shooting this image, and then the camera no longer worked.
    130879628_oMBTt-L.jpg
    My 1DsMkll had no problems that day at all.

I put the camera away, and after it dried out, it worked fine again. Another dgrinner (rutt) had a similar experience with his 5D as well.

I like the 5D and still own it, but it is better suited for modest weather in my opinion.

The 1DsMkll or lll are going to be heavy in the field. DO you need a DSLR, or would a G10 in an underwater housing work just as well? Canon makes a housing for the G10.......
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Rokdktr wrote:
    It seems like the 1Ds do have a nice 'tough' appeal though.
    I've been lucky and had access to a canon pro rep for the past few months.

He stated that weather sealed body of the 1D series are rated to handle seven inches of rain in hour. Note -- this isn't the same as dropping the camera in water.
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    I got the 5D for almost 2 years and had almost 40K shots.
    During the trip to Egypt, the glass mirror suddenly drop off from the assembly. As I was in the middle of the trip and also middle of the desert, I have no access of Canon service at all. The only tools I have is the superglue in my tool box. It was fixed and worked for another 2000 pictures before the end of the trip.
    Will send the 5D body to Canon service center and see whether need to change the whole mirror assembly.
    This is the first time I saw the mirror come off from a dSLR. Is there anyone have the experience and share with me how it can happen.bowdown.gif
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    I got the 5D for almost 2 years and had almost 40K shots.
    During the trip to Egypt, the glass mirror suddenly drop off from the assembly. As I was in the middle of the trip and also middle of the desert, I have no access of Canon service at all. The only tools I have is the superglue in my tool box. It was fixed and worked for another 2000 pictures before the end of the trip.
    Will send the 5D body to Canon service center and see whether need to change the whole mirror assembly.
    This is the first time I saw the mirror come off from a dSLR. Is there anyone have the experience and share with me how it can happen.bowdown.gif
    This isn't the first I've heard of it, a similar forum post, don't remember where or when, mentioned a service bulletin by canon stating that the glue the factory used had trouble with high heat and/or humidity, and that with age the mirrors would become detached. I expect canon will know what to do, not sure what the techs will have to say about your makeshift solution, but I think you made the right call for the 2000 pics!
  • RokdktrRokdktr Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    More great info! Excellent, unfortunately it makes teh decision harder...but I am in no rush, so I can take my time.

I do have a G9 as my always in my bag camera....but sometimes the opportunities I get out in the field demand a dslr for the lens choices. I've gotten decent pics, but not as easily as with my 40D.

I'm going to keep my ears open though and maybe look for a used 1D series.
  • BlueEchoesBlueEchoes Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 5, 2009
    I had a 30d and loved it, should have never gotten rid of it. It worked okay in the winter, never had one problem with water or snow or cold or anything like that. The battery did drain faster in the cold, but the batteries are small so I carried a few. I was forced to upgrade to the 1Ds Mark II for a for jobs I got, and it was like upgrading to a Bentley from a Honda. The Honda was nice, but when I got that Bentley Continental, aka the 1Ds Mark II, it was a whole different world. The 1 series Canon's are the best built piece of hardware I have ever used. I am a computer guy by trade, so I am dealing with a multitude of hardware every day, and nothing compares to the 1 series. Some may say "is it worth the money?" and I would most definitely say yes, especially now that you can get a 1Ds Mark II for such a great price. Weight is not an issue, if you are treking through a forest with a few lenses, so your body weighs a pound or so more? I actually enjoy the heft of them. I love it and will be using it for a very long time, mainly because I know it is going to last a very long time and it is just a stellar camera.