Help in considering some lenses for Canon & Sony

sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
edited December 30, 2008 in Cameras
Let me first say my goal is to have the best lenses possible....but I also want to be smart financially. I was looking at possibly checking out some of the 3rd party lenses.

My needs are low light, fast focus (AF). I prefer zoom lenses. I would like a fairly good wide zoom and a 70-200 zoom. I would like lenses that give a sharp image and decent bokeh if possible.

If I start out with a few 3rd party lenses, it would be my goal to eventually replace with manufacturer lenses.

I will be mostly doing weddings, so I want to be able to shoot without flash when it can't be used and also during times that it will add to the scene to not use flash.

Let me add that I already have a 50mm f1.7 for the Sony and 50mm f1.8 for the Canon.

I appreciate any information you feel like sharing.
Sheri Johnson
Atlanta, GA USA
my smugmug
Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
SheriJohnsonPhotography.com

Comments

• ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Best Wedding Lenses
    The best wedding lenses in my kit are all Canon:

70-200 2.8is
    50 1.2
    135 2.0
    24-70 2.8
    24-105 4.0
    100 2.8 and a 50 2.5 macro
    15 fisheye

I probably will get the 16-35 next year when I get the 5Dmk2. I currently shoot with the 5d. I had a couple of Tamron lenses and a Sigma lens and I returned or sold them. I notice a difference - not as sharp. I have a Tamron 28-300vr that I use when I travel and I only use it for my personal stuff.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    It is also highly dependent on what kind of camera body you will have, either it being FF or cropped.

Chakat has listed a great set, but if you had a cropped canon, most definitely include the 17-55.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    It is also highly dependent on what kind of camera body you will have, either it being FF or cropped.

Chakat has listed a great set, but if you had a cropped canon, most definitely include the 17-55.

Yeah, I realized I hadn't told you, at this time I am only shooting on crop bodies but do hope to eventually work my way up to a 5DMII, but that is not a necessity at this time.

I know Canon lenses are great, but I was asking about 3rd party lenses from those who have had any good experience with them. If they are no good, then I won't buy any. I think some people had said they got decent results with some of them though.

It goes without saying, I would prefer to buy lenses that work on both full frame and crop sensors so they can go forward with me when I upgrade.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    oh.. in that case..
    Tokina 12-24 is very superb wide angle, especially in comparison to Canon's.
    Tamron's 28-70 has some really good reviews too.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com