Low Light Lens Contrast

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited January 6, 2009 in Sports
Thought I would share an observation I made today re: 85mmf1.8 cf 135mmf2.0 (Canon).

The 85 can achieve focus MUCH faster than the 135. If I have a choice (mostly venue specific) in the future, I will be pulling the 85mm out in preference to the 135!

I had this suspicion earlier, but today was able to test one after the other and my suspicion was proved out.

So, if you are thinking about buying one or the other for low light/indoor sports and the 85 is long enough, I say make that choice.

ann

Comments

• KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    I don't have a 135mm, but I do have the Canon 85mm f/1.8. Teamed with a 70-200mm f/2.8 on a second body, it makes a great combination for basketball or hockey.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • KCBearcatKCBearcat Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    I have a 50 1.8, but not the 85... yet... :D

I have a 70-200 f4, but not the 2.8... yet... :D

I don't have a 2nd camera body... yet... :D

Must have more toys! :D
    Alan H.
    http://www.fountaincityphotography.com
    Camera Gear: Canon 400D (XTi), 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 75-300 f/4.0-5.6, 70-200 f/4 L, 50 f/1.8 II
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    KCBearcat wrote:
    I have a 50 1.8, but not the 85... yet... :D

I have a 70-200 f4, but not the 2.8... yet... :D

I don't have a 2nd camera body... yet... :D

Must have more toys! :D

that's the spirit.... :D
    Rags
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    So, if you are thinking about buying one or the other for low light/indoor sports and the 85 is long enough, I say make that choice.

Thanks so much Ann for your recommendation. That is the next lens I'm going to buy and I was debating between those two. I shoot a lot of hockey and gymnastics in low light. I was going to rent one of the lenses before I buy it, so I guess I'll try the 85mm 1.8.

Stephanie
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 3, 2009
    As a general rule, I would suggest that for a given aperture, the longer lens will almost always focus more slowly. It has larger pieces of glass to move further.

I agree that the 85 f1.8 will grab focus faster than the 135f2.

But I would also say the the bokeh of the 135f2 is second to none!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    I rented the 85 1.8 recently to shoot a wrestling tournament and can't wait to buy that sweet little piece of glass!!

My shots came out much better than the "paid professionals" that were there.