Equipment vs. Pictures

2»

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Actually that could be considered almost a money shot.....the deer is mostly in the open and nice bright light.....however the feet are cut off.....that is the only thing wrong........just needed to back off the zoom a bit and lower thecamera to get the hooves......but great shot shot of a whitetail doe......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,068 moderator
    edited January 3, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    It can feel like good photography is highly related to equipment, but what you find is that even if you have great equipment, it is still your creative eye and brain that really counts.

My point is that many of the limitations we impose on ourselves are not real but imagined.

I shoot all sorts of different photgraphic venues. That is one of the things I like about photgraphy, there are so many different things one can wander into and learn about and experiment with.

Even thought I own a very wide range of glass, 90% of my images are still shot with a medium zoom somewhere between 24 and 105mm.

Great examples and a good point Pathfinder. thumb.gifclap
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • baldmountainbaldmountain Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    Actually that could be considered almost a money shot.....the deer is mostly in the open and nice bright light.....however the feet are cut off.....that is the only thing wrong........just needed to back off the zoom a bit and lower thecamera to get the hooves......

Thanks for the comments. I always appreciate help with improving my pictures. I agree about too much zoom. (I still need to stop snapping that button rather than squeezing the trigger.)
    Art Scott wrote:
    but great shot shot of a whitetail doe......

Oh, yeah, I rule! :ivar

Thanks Art, coming from you that means a lot. :D
    geoff
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    I guess I'm a little late popping into this thread, but here's my $.02:

There are a lot of rules that are generally true, and often repeated, like bug macros needing long telephoto macro lenses, bird photography requires 400mm or more, the smaller the bird the longer your lens better be. That landscapes use really wide lenses, that for portraiture you need super fast glass, architecture you want tilt and shift lenses.

These are all great suggestions, and helpful rules of thumb, but some of my favourite landscapes were taken with a 70-200, here's a chickadee, at 200mm (320mm effective) no cropping. (The bird feeder background gives away my secret technique)

448103174_hGwfP-M.jpg

This is probably my all time favourite bug macro, and it was taken with a 50mm prime and tubes:

265105321_kSg9Y-M-1.jpg