Test Shots with my new D700 and 24-70 alogn with my 105vr

EddyEddy Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
edited January 1, 2009 in Cameras
Please let me know what do you think of it..I have played with this camera long enough and my first shots, since i have it..for just over 4 weeks. I decided i wanted to make sure i had all the settings right and did research on what the camera could do, and used it.Still learning ...So pls Critique
445773313_ixCkd-M.jpg

445772656_RNbKf-M.jpg
E.J.W

Great understanding is broad and unhurried, Little understanding is cramped and busy" ..... Chuang Tsu

Comments

• BrascoleBrascole Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Eddy wrote:
    Please let me know what do you think of it..I have played with this camera long enough and my first shots, since i have it..for just over 4 weeks. I decided i wanted to make sure i had all the settings right and did research on what the camera could do, and used it.Still learning ...So pls Critique
    445773313_ixCkd-M.jpg

445772656_RNbKf-M.jpg

I have the same camera lens combo. I think you could use a little understanding of composition to make the photo's interesting, "rule of thirds" and all that. A good book that explains composition with examples and not a hard read is, Mastering Composition by Chris Rutter a Rotovision publication.

On the second photo you could have increased your dof to make the flower on the right less destractive or not have it in the scene at all. The camera and lens will take time to learn and you are on the right track.

I have the combo you have and other lenses as well. To my surprise I find the 105VR on my camera most of the time. It's great for candids of people but I don't hand hold it for macro it would go on a tripod. Use of teleconverters is a plus with this lens even up to two times.

What can you say about the 24-70 other than awesome. I don't find it heavy and on the D700 it is well balanced as you know. It's like they were made for each other.

Keep clicking, the photo's are terrific.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    From the size of the images, it looks like you got the exposure down pretty good and the detail in the feathers is pretty good.

I find the composition just fine too. The dead space actually adds to the contrast of the picture. If you look at the form of the feathers instead of the circle in the feathers, the pics do follow the rule of thirds. Maybe a little tighter cropping on the first one, but the composition didn't jump out to me as being bad.
    edited January 1, 2009
    jonh68 wrote:
    From the size of the images, it looks like you got the exposure down pretty good and the detail in the feathers is pretty good.

I find the composition just fine too. The dead space actually adds to the contrast of the picture. If you look at the form of the feathers instead of the circle in the feathers, the pics do follow the rule of thirds. Maybe a little tighter cropping on the first one, but the composition didn't jump out to me as being bad.

I disagree. The single feather photo for me leads my eye straight to the center of the circle where there is colorless space. I would have extended the sides and placed the circle on the top third of the image shooting at an upward angle giving the appearence of the feathers bowing out from the bottom and leaning back towards the top.

The second image left side shows the feathers leaning left while the flower on the right leaning right by itself and not connecting to the other two flowers. It's what I see frist and have to consciously look left into the darker area and I did not get the photographers reason for it being in the photo at all.

Your thought's.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    I see it differently and lets leave at that. These are test shots, not considerations for art gallery. The OP did just fine in getting the exposer and detail.
    edited January 1, 2009
    jonh68 wrote:
    I see it differently and lets leave at that. These are test shots, not considerations for art gallery. The OP did just fine in getting the exposer and detail.

Sorry you took my reply the wrong way . This is a discussion forum. Frankly your reply above sounds sarcastic and since you don't want to further your opinion with suggestions that does not help the OP or anyone for that matter.

Thank You for you opinion.

PS I did tell the OP that photo's were good and he did ask for a critque.ne_nau.gif