Options

e-session peek

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited January 2, 2009 in Weddings
I had my first REAL shoot in quite awhile this afternoon. It is perhaps my LAST shoot with the trusty ol' XTi.

These for now :wink more to come when I get time to process them.

445819592_Pf2EB-M.jpg

2-
445818944_L8mBL-M.jpg

3-I broke one of my long standing rules and shot in harsh sunlight here....
445820841_ys6An-M.jpg

4-
445820158_9oRvP-M.jpg

5-
445821536_DkRbB-S-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    fcorin13fcorin13 Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    I absolutely love number 2! The colors, the reflection, the way she's holding her foot- all great! clap.gif
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Very cute teasers! Looking forward to seeing more later.

so last shots w/ the XTi, eh? did you splurge and go 5D2 or something more modest like 40D/50D?
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    Very cute teasers! Looking forward to seeing more later.

so last shots w/ the XTi, eh? did you splurge and go 5D2 or something more modest like 40D/50D?

Thanks...these...even could use more work, but Im fighting a horrendous headache at the moment.eek7.gif

Im going to stay with a crop sensor for now. I should have a 50D in hand on Friday. Depending on how business goes (its been slow) I would like to get a 5D2 by the end of the year. The XXD s are fine cameras, and I will probably always have a crop sensor camera in my kit. I would, though, eventually like to have a FF sensor camera to take advantage of the insane bokeh. I like to shoot shallow, and think it would help me realize some of my vision in that regard.

I am looking forward to the nightmare scenario of learning the 50D menus!!!
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2008
    fcorin13 wrote:
    I absolutely love number 2! The colors, the reflection, the way she's holding her foot- all great! clap.gif

Thanks!
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    I love this set, Jeff. Great variety, creative framing and interesting details. I love #2 and 3!!! Super!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    #'s 2 and 3 are very creative poses/captures.thumb.gif
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    #2 FTW - no question and for all the reasons already listed by fcorin13 - followed closely by #3 and #4. Nice set!thumb.gifbow
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I am looking forward to the nightmare scenario of learning the 50D menus!!!
    The menus aren't that difficult. I don't think the menus have stayed the same from one camera to the next. There are differences between the 20D, 30D, 40D, and no the 50D. The nice thing, for me at least, is that I use most of the menu features only once - to set up the camera the way I like it. Most of the functions I use to change settings on a regular basis are easy to get to. And, most of these are available on the LCD by mashing the contoller stick straight into the camera body.

I predict it's only going to take about 30 minutes before we all hear you shout, "I love this camera!"wings.gif
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Awwww, very cute!!! + I'm sure you'll get some shoe-points from the ladies here :Dclap.gif
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    All of them are lovely, but I am seriously digging #3 - definitely worth shooting in harsh light for that!!!
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    #2 is great - love the concept.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
  • Options
    picturegirlpicturegirl Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Great images!!!
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Ok, Jeff. I found myself sucking in air as I saw these because I appreciated your creative spin so much! REALLY great work. There is not a lame photo among them. You get a 10 on the scale of yum. Favorite is the reflection and the silhouette. Incredible vision enacted in a breathtaking way.

Enjoy that new camera this week. Was it a Christmas present to yourself? or just one of those neeeeds.
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2009
    Thank you all for the kind comments. 2 & 3 seem like pretty popular picks from you all. The popularity of #2 especially is comforting since it cost me roughly $50/hour for my daughter/assistant to light it for me. You all have to help me keep it a secret that she did a good job...she might try to negotiate more next time!

Ok, Jeff. I found myself sucking in air as I saw these because I appreciated your creative spin so much! REALLY great work. There is not a lame photo among them. You get a 10 on the scale of yum. Favorite is the reflection and the silhouette. Incredible vision enacted in a breathtaking way.

Enjoy that new camera this week. Was it a Christmas present to yourself? or just one of those neeeeds.

Whats this?.....thats some very descriptive commenting there Heather!rolleyes1.gif

Camera should be here on Friday. While there are other photography gadgets I would have rather gave myself....like stands and umbrellas and radio poppers...I had to hold off on those things and get a new camera. In the past I have usually borrowed a spare from friends for events, but the XTi is getting old and I needed a second body. Ill still keep the XTi for spare...on standby....in case the new 50D goes on strike during an important shoot.

It has been a surprisingly capable camera....the XTi that is...and while it has some limitations, I have no complaints. I have no idea really how many shots Ive taken with it, but wouldn't be surprised if it were in the 30,000 range. I noticed sensor dust on a F22 landscape shot I took last summer, but at portrait apertures it hasn't reared its head. Still clicking right along...and I recently captured some candle lit shots that were very managable as far as noise is concerned.

I am still trying to make time to sit and go through the images we captured on this shoot...maybe tommorrow if the new camera doesn't get here too early!

Here are a couple more....

6-
    446217342_JUhFC-L-1.jpg

7-Forgive me here....they were uncoachable. If I told them once I told them a hundred times to "almost kiss" rather than "kiss"....it was no use......but I like the result!
    446217112_MTKPG-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    These are all very, very lovely! In fact your photos most always are, N'es pas?

But that reflection and the shadow...now those are truly wonderful to me. So many folks seem squeamish around shadows, yet shadows tell a tale of their own, almost like using second person storytelling, within a second person story tale.

Ain't it great you coached over and over to almost kiss and they just couldn't help it...shows they were in the moment!

cheers, and enjoy that new cam~
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2009
    angevin1 wrote:
    These are all very, very lovely! In fact your photos most always are, N'es pas?

But that reflection and the shadow...now those are truly wonderful to me. So many folks seem squeamish around shadows, yet shadows tell a tale of their own, almost like using second person storytelling, within a second person story tale.

Ain't it great you coached over and over to almost kiss and they just couldn't help it...shows they were in the moment!

cheers, and enjoy that new cam~

Le véritable amour est bien vivant !!!.....

and,

Thank you for your thoughtful comments.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Le véritable amour est bien vivant !!!.....

Mais oui, ces vrais!

Nouvelle annee

tom
    tom wise
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    Hey, I am liking your new watermark too. Very nifty!
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2009
    Hey, I am liking your new watermark too. Very nifty!

Thanks Heather....I want to do somethink a little sleeker for wedding work....and that one was created primarily for my senior portraits. I can't take credit for this one though...Agnieszka put several of them together for me and I only midified it a tad. She is pretty handy with that and could certainly start a side-line biz working up watermarks for smuggers.(hint Agnieszka...if you read this!)

I wanted something without a date and with my web addy....and something fresh for 2009.

6:44am.....I worked a 12 hour shift last night....got home.....house full of guests from out of town....both daughters in bed with my wife.....she and I went to Mickey D's for breakfast, coffee, and newspaper......where's that UPS guy.....no camera yet!
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2009
    angevin1 wrote:
    Mais oui, ces vrais!

Nouvelle annee

tom

Thanks, happy new year to you as well.
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    Ah...liking 6 & 7. See....it's that processing thingy.:D Nice comps, nice settings, nice poses...then....a new take..not B&W...not Sepia but kind of gold/yellow in first and gray in the second. I bring this up because "I LIKE IT"..it's different Jeff, maybe not like way over the top processing but defines "your style".

Nicely done.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    I really like the processing you did on #6!!! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Ah...liking 6 & 7. See....it's that processing thingy.:D Nice comps, nice settings, nice poses...then....a new take..not B&W...not Sepia but kind of gold/yellow in first and gray in the second. I bring this up because "I LIKE IT"..it's different Jeff, maybe not like way over the top processing but defines "your style".

Nicely done.

Thanks Swartzy,

I just boosted the fall colors in 6 with a little extra warmth. I say fall....that is really what winter looks like here. I want to try a redo on 7. I like it better in monotone than color, but want to try some local curves adjustmants in a few areas to try to charge it up some...and give it more of a film feel.

Hey?....how 'bout the cross process on #3....rolleyes1.gif ...see....Im willing to have more fun with E shots verses the actual wedding!
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    I really like the processing you did on #6!!! iloveyou.gif

Thanks Ang...

I am, as we speak, working on a new watermark. Its a bit more formal than the other....more suited to photographs of grown-ups!!! It will feature a wrought iron look with a FDL medallion and some clean white text. Hopefullly it won't be too busy!

446217112_MTKPG-L-5.jpg