Blimp hangar + star trails

scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
edited January 4, 2009 in Landscapes
Seeing the recent shots posted got me itching to go out and hone my skills.
445947625_kuNGr-XL.jpg
This was 22 shots @ 3 minutes each. There is no place in the immediate area that actually gets dark, and it was pretty hazy tonight so I had to do quite a bit of work to get the sky to not be a bland orange mush. Not too happy with my masking job on the hangar, at 100% it looks like a faked composite. It would probably be better with some ground in the frame as well but I was shooting over a chain link fence, no legal way to get any closer :cry

Comments

• eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    I think it looks great! thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Pretty cool shot. Love the color, star trails, and the plane lights across the
    top corner.

There's a historic blimp hangar in the Bay Area (Moffett Field, Mountain
    View). Maybe I'll head out there one of these weekends.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Great job!

I've shot the hangar at sunset. I know that chain link fence well. I would have never guessed you could get star trails there. Just too bright. Was the security guy watching you? I've thought about going back and asking him if I could come inside to take photos.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • vintagemxrvintagemxr Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Very nice. Without the ground context it gives me the feeling of the building being some sort of ancient temple or observatory rather than a modern structure. clap.gif

Speaking of the hanger at Moffett Field, that's Hanger 1 and the Navy would like to tear it down. It's in poor shape, terribly contaminated with all sorts of things. The locals are working hard to find money and approval to save the hanger as it's a big part of Bay Area aviation history. My dear ol' Dad worked in Hanger 1 during WW2. Info here on the efforts to save the hanger.

Doug
    "A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into." - Ansel Adams
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W
  • scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    BeachBill wrote:
    Great job!

I've shot the hangar at sunset. I know that chain link fence well. I would have never guessed you could get star trails there. Just too bright. Was the security guy watching you? I've thought about going back and asking him if I could come inside to take photos.
    no hassling from the security guard that night, this was basically taken from the street right behind costco. I was scoping out the other hangar in the area off of Redhill, lots of great old buildings but of course fenced off, and a definite security presence.
    Very nice. Without the ground context it gives me the feeling of the building being some sort of ancient temple or observatory rather than a modern structure.

Speaking of the hanger at Moffett Field, that's Hanger 1 and the Navy would like to tear it down. It's in poor shape, terribly contaminated with all sorts of things. The locals are working hard to find money and approval to save the hanger as it's a big part of Bay Area aviation history. My dear ol' Dad worked in Hanger 1 during WW2. Info here on the efforts to save the hanger.

Doug
    thanks doug. This is one of 2 hangars at the base and is unfortunately pegged to be torn down to make way for more houses and malls... it's too bad, they are the largest wooden structures in the world.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Wow, very nice. I think you did a fantastic job here with a tricky lighting situation. Star trails always kick regular landscape scenes up a notch. thumb.gif