Western Tools

2»

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Great shot Randy! Looks like it should be on the cover of "Guns of the Old West" magazine, or as an advertisement for the firearm. As a longtime SASS member and CAS shooter I really love this image.

Thanks Jack,

I LOVE the Old West. I shot CAS for a couple of years (alias:hornswoggle), but my tinnitus forced me to retreat from it. What's your alias?
    Randy
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Thanks Jack,

I LOVE the Old West. I shot CAS for a couple of years (alias:hornswoggle), but my tinnitus forced me to retreat from it. What's your alias?

Thought you might have. alias: Johnny Pecos and my better half's Southpaw Sweetie. We shoot with the Connecticut Valley Bushwhackers.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    Randy, im cheering you on....!!!
    ive been on the same mission as you so i understand completely!
    problem with my mission is i havent produced anything from my vision yet.... (time, time, need more time)

heres an art festival for my local area, you should check it out once you get up and running fully... i think you would have a niche

http://www.sgcity.org/artfestival/

oh and btw if you remember i was the one suggesting perspective control on that mission shot...i hope thats not what was bugging you about dgrin, i guess im not sure...
    Aaron Nelson
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Sam,

I appreciate your support & I agree with your reasoning.

I plan on printing this on fine art paper if I can get it done gallery wrapped, otherwise I'll print it on canvas. I'll print up the first one 24x36. This will go on my living room wall. I used to build rustic furniture and our house is a rustic western motif.

BTW, what do you think about the brushed on clear coating applied to fine art paper/canvas? Like it, hate it? - Who produces prints with it applied?

Randy,

I have never heard of gallery wrapping fine art paper. I don't believe it can be done.

As far as the clear coating on canvas, It is primarily used for protection, and I think comes in various finishes, mat, gloss, etc. I would recommend having it coated. This will protect the image, and allow you to gently wipe dust off with a damp cloth when necessary. I have had a few canvas prints coated, and it didn't (in my view) affect the appearance.

Anytime your working with an outside printer I think it's important to run some proof images to build up some experience before printing a large piece, or a large number of images.

Sam
    edited January 2, 2009
    Randy, im cheering you on....!!!
    ive been on the same mission as you so i understand completely!
    problem with my mission is i havent produced anything from my vision yet.... (time, time, need more time)

heres an art festival for my local area, you should check it out once you get up and running fully... i think you would have a niche

http://www.sgcity.org/artfestival/

oh and btw if you remember i was the one suggesting perspective control on that mission shot...i hope thats not what was bugging you about dgrin, i guess im not sure...

Aaron,

Time is like money...you have to make it!

Thanks for the link. Looks like a good festival. Not sure of the marketing path I'm going to use yet.

You lucky dog - living in close radius to all that beautiful country iloveyou.gif

I didn't remember about your input on the mission piece, but obviously I made use of it :D -- Thank you

Nothings bugging me about dgrin, I just don't think it's a good feedback board for my kind of artwork. It's not a good fit. Apples to Oranges kind of thing. No disrespect to dgrin. I'll continue to post more traditional types of photography here, that's a good fit thumb.gif

I really appreciate your and others time and support, it means alot!
    Randy
    edited January 2, 2009
    Sorry, double post monster got me...
    Randy
    edited January 2, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    Randy,

I have never heard of gallery wrapping fine art paper. I don't believe it can be done.

As far as the clear coating on canvas, It is primarily used for protection, and I think comes in various finishes, mat, gloss, etc. I would recommend having it coated. This will protect the image, and allow you to gently wipe dust off with a damp cloth when necessary. I have had a few canvas prints coated, and it didn't (in my view) affect the appearance.

Anytime your working with an outside printer I think it's important to run some proof images to build up some experience before printing a large piece, or a large number of images.

Sam

Sam,

Yeah, I was hoping you might know of someone who does gallery wrap on fine art paper, I haven't seen it either. I do like the look of fine art paper more than canvas.

Who do you like for giclee's?

I've seen locally some giclee's that had a clear coat that was thick and brushed on, leaving brush strokes visible. It made it very hard to distinguish if the brush strokes were from the paint, or the clear coat. Overall adding to the realism of the piece. My aim is to try to fit somewhere between a photograph and a painting with my work. Leaning more toward the painting side. (not only to have something different, but really, because I'm not talented enough to paint rolleyes1.gif )

Thanks for all your input.
    Randy