Daughter & Friend--First try using lights

slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,216 Major grins
edited January 4, 2009 in People
I had an opportunity last night to try out some studio lighting for the first time ever. A photographer I know was doing some on-location shooting that my daughter and her friends were a (small) part of. When he finished shooting, he asked me if I wanted to hook up my camera to his lights and give it a whirl. (I'd been checking out his set-up and asking about them when he took breaks.) Of course I said YES!

I told my daughter and her friend to just play around & have fun. Here are a few that I like. I haven't done any pp adjusting yet except for some minor touch up on the first one. I'd appreciate a little bit of c&c before I spend too much time working on edits on the others.

#1. Just playing around
445822734_bPhYZ-M-1.jpg

445825714_UzTzZ-M-1.jpg

445825812_YVbuN-M-1.jpg

445823426_P6gdM-M-1.jpg

I know I've been bitten by the 'need some lights of my own' bug. That may have to wait a while, but I did enjoy the chance to try them out. I'm mostly pleased with these results, but I truly welcome any c&c or tips for improvement.

Thanks,
Sherry

Comments

• mpauliempaulie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Wow, nice and bright! What was the lightning setup like?
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,216 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    mpaulie wrote:
    Wow, nice and bright! What was the lightning setup like?

I didn't write down the brand names and I'm not sure I know the proper names for all the equipment, but here goes... He had 3 light sets--2 that stayed on when he turned them on and 1 strobe. The strobe and one of the continuous had umbrellas on them. The other continuous light was facing backward towards a reflector that pushed the light to the subjects. Two of the lights were just to the left and right of the photographer and angled slightly. The other light was off to the side.

I really like that all his photos had nice soft lighting. None of it was harsh and there were very few shadows. I was excited he let me try a few with my own camera, but now I want a set of my own! My pictures came out nice (to me anyway) because he knew what he was doing with the light set up & I just piggy-backed on his knowledge.

This person has really been an inspiration and mentor to me as a photographer. I was just a Mom clicking away with a point-and-shoot a couple of years ago. He let me borrow his spare Canon & showed me a few things one day. That got me hooked, then I took a class he offered and bought my own 'real' camera. :D Now whenever I see him, he always offers a few tips or says 'Let me show you something...' I just wish he lived closer to me so I could get this more often!!!

Thanks,
    Sherry
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Hey there,

I think C&C on these is a bit hard, because I am not sure what you were trying to accomplish.

Too cute kidz playing around in front of a bland background.

I know what you mean about the light/lighting bug...but I will say, lights are on all the time. You can use natural light reflected off a building, or the lamp in your house, with cam on a tripod. I own flashes and am buying more. I work hard at trying to figure them out, which means I produce plenty of rubbish....but thats a well worn path I suppose.

But now Natural light, I find that easy to use. When the light is right/ time of day/ azimuth, I just automagically think of photos and will shoot a stone just to play with the natural light!

cheers, and keep posting your photos!

tom
    tom wise
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Very nice series. Very great start.clap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • codiac2600codiac2600 Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Love the expressions here, definitely a happy pair :)

For C&C all I can add is what I love to do and that is to light with more drama :D

No for what you did here the lighting setup is good, it's simple and works. The backdrop is the only thing that causes me any pain (slight, very slight). Maybe take the ole iron to it or even better have them stand a few more feet in front of it and let the DOF blur it out more. It's all I have for you till you ask questions that have a more direct answer, but for now you have this thumb.gif and shall await to see how you grow with your new lights!
    -Chris :)
    http://simplyphotostudio.com
    http://decayedbeauty.com