2008 Winter Steam Festival at Golden Spike National Historic Site

theNOIZtheNOIZ Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
edited July 2, 2009 in Landscapes

Comments

• BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    These are all really cool. clap.gif

I think I like the first one the best, with the closeup a close runner up. I think if you cloned out the telephone poles, it would make the images even better. Maybe even try a B&W or vintage conversion as well.

I would have loved to have been there. Awesome subject material. thumb.gif
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    wonderful colour and compositon! clap.gif :ivar
  • theNOIZtheNOIZ Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Telephone Poles
    BeachBill wrote:
    These are all really cool. clap.gif

I think I like the first one the best, with the closeup a close runner up. I think if you cloned out the telephone poles, it would make the images even better. Maybe even try a B&W or vintage conversion as well.

I would have loved to have been there. Awesome subject material. thumb.gif
    Thanks Bill.

You mean telegraph poles. :D I think they've tried to keep the area authentic by re-doing some of the telegraph lines that the railroad put in. Anyway, good point. Wires always seem to get in the way. And good suggestion about trying a b/w or aged conversion.

Bill, you're from Utah. Do you know what the difference is between a cell phone tower and a telephone pole in the city of Corinne is? Not much. I should have stopped to take a picture of that. rolleyes1.gif The tower they had in town was a telephone pole with the typical cell tower hardware mounted to the top. The image that keeps popping in my head is Wile E. Coyote making a call to ACME on his Verizon phone so he can order a new set of rocket skates. I'm sure someone out there reading this lives in a town much like this and thinks I'm a jerk, but... please. Before I have to apologize, understand that Promontory, Utah, is about one-hundred and nowhere miles away from nothingville. I'll just go over here and shut up now. Sorry about the sarcastic humor.
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Great colors!! Difficult to pick a favorite - O.K. all of them. Great job.clap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Great colors. They're all great...even the pole joke :-)

thumb.gif
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • theNOIZtheNOIZ Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Aged Versions
    I took Bill's suggestion and aged a few of the photos for fun.

449092331_gzaPd-L.jpg

449089506_CACkE-L.jpg

449090481_NJn7H-L.jpg

Out of all the photos, this last would probably be the most accurate of the processing used in 1869. "Albumen, widely used from 1855 to the 1890's, this inexpensive photographic method produced paper-based photos. Negatives were captured on glass, and the print was then created on paper that used albumen from egg whites to bind the light-sensitive chemicals to the paper (Paint Shop Pro Photo X2). A display at the Golden Spike visitor center detailed this process.

449097595_q2g9p-L.jpg
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Really like the aged ones aswell.
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    The first one just pops out at me!! Love it!!! thumb.gif
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    jasonstone wrote:
    The first one just pops out at me!! Love it!!! thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif The first one (in color) is awesome.
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    I posted some summer-time reenactment photos here.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Amazing! I'd never know your modifications were from recent photos. Great job :D
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Wow, not only wonderful but interesting!
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    I really like your re-edits. These are some really nice photos.

I drove right by this place last summer and now I'm really wishing I had stopped to take a look...
  • Picture North CarolinaPicture North Carolina Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    My gosh, what beautiful pieces of machinery! Great shots, thanks for sharing.

SmugMug Gallery | Website | Like my Facebook page, I'll like yours