Morro Bay, CA

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited January 2, 2009 in Landscapes
Just processed another set from my road trip. This time it's the beautiful little city of Morro Bay, California.

Morro Rock

446193500_LHDcA-L.jpg

446082356_bHpse-L.jpg

The Harbor

446081795_JGybi-L.jpg

A Couple of Locals

446082566_wndUR-L.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Nice. I like the 2nd and last one best.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • PhotopaddlerPhotopaddler Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    nice captures. the second one is very striking to me I like the working boat in the forground and the clouds are great.thumb.gif
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Very cool series. The last one rocks. I kinda wish there was just a wee bit more in the bottom, but I will take it as is. thumb.gif
    Growing with Dgrin

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    leaforte wrote:
    Very cool series. The last one rocks. I kinda wish there was just a wee bit more in the bottom, but I will take it as is. thumb.gif

Ha... I felt the same way. I had to setup and shoot fast because the surfer was about to leave the frame so I kind of cropped it a bit too high. However, I have a second shot without the surfer that has more of the rock tha the bird is perched on. I am going to layer the two shots together... or try to.

My Smug Site
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Agree with the consensus. Second and last ones are favs. Looks like you had a good road trip thumb.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • vintagemxrvintagemxr Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    I'm partial to the second photo, maybe because I like old boats, but the shape and angle of the clouds add a nice feeling of spaciousness that keeps it from being just a rock & boat photo. thumb.gif

Morro Bay is a terrific place, in fact the whole central coast of CA is a photographer's dream. Happily my dear ol' mum lives in that area so I get to visit but don't have to spring for a hotel room. :D

Doug
    "A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into." - Ansel Adams
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Last shot really says California.
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Morro Bay is my closest contact to the Pacific. I like going there quite a lot.

All four are beautiful shots, but #2 is the standout for me. Beautiful work. Dramatic sky, breathtaking perspective, and a little story, besides. Nice.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif 2nd & last one thumb.gifthumb The first time I looked at the last one, I thought the blurry form was a Pelican with a mini surfboard in it's beak. I thought you were putting us on with some fancy compositing. headscratch.gif We don't see many surfers here in the woods. :D Glad I read your response to Leaforte which caused me to take a closer look.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    I was able to take a second image I took of the bird on the rock and layer it with the image with the surfer in the background so his perch is not cut off.

Here's the before:

446082566_wndUR-L.jpg

And after:

446656170_nLwma-L.jpg+

Much better wouldn't you say?

My Smug Site
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    I have to agree with the general concensus here, #2 and the last are both excellent. I think#2 has a very strong compostion, and what I love about the last one is the DOF and the surfer in the bg, very nice shot!
    Oooh, I just noticed your after picture....awesome!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain