Old Church

goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
edited January 1, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Just an old abandoned church in Bluetown Texas. Built December 29, 1880. What do you think about the tree in the picture - I kind of liked how the subject was not only the church but that tree as well.. what do you think? C&C welcome
chapel2-1.jpg

If you look at the bottom of the church you can see a small hole. I was curious to what the inside looked like so I squeezed myself in..heres the inside (as best as I could get). Its crooked and doesn't show much I know.
chapel1-1.jpg
Courtney

Comments

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    what a difference between inside and outside! As for the tree, I like it. It looks much like one that's in the middle of one of my shots and I can't decide whether to keep it or not. Yours looks great, IMO. i like the BW conversion too.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Sneaky you! :D It was worth it though, I'm glad to have seen the inside. It's hard to believe such a nice piece of property is abandoned. Could you imagine finding something like this on acreage, for sale, in the country side? Ready to remodel for modern living? I'd be all over that. I like the tree in the shot.
    Growing with Dgrin

• goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    redleash wrote:
    what a difference between inside and outside! As for the tree, I like it. It looks much like one that's in the middle of one of my shots and I can't decide whether to keep it or not. Yours looks great, IMO. i like the BW conversion too.
    Thanks for your comment. It really makes me feel good to hear positive things about my shots! Thanks!:D
    Courtney
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    leaforte wrote:
    Sneaky you! :D It was worth it though, I'm glad to have seen the inside. It's hard to believe such a nice piece of property is abandoned. Could you imagine finding something like this on acreage, for sale, in the country side? Ready to remodel for modern living? I'd be all over that. I like the tree in the shot.

Yea sneaky me.. I think my quote will eventually read " A good photographer takes risks" or "A good picture requires trespassing" haha. That church was actually in the middle of nowhere. Thats what made it so neat IMO. Tomorrow I hope to venture out to an old abandoned mansion in the middle of nowhere..depending on the rain. Thanks for your comment!! I agree its to bad it hasn't been taken care of and turned into something .. or even a museum.
    Courtney
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    That is a beautiful old church...... The picture is well composed and well presentedthumb.gifthumb..... I think that you should do a little pp on the second picture. I believe that it is a better picture than you think.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Just an old abandoned church in Bluetown Texas. Built December 29, 1880. What do you think about the tree in the picture - I kind of liked how the subject was not only the church but that tree as well.. what do you think? C&C welcome

If you look at the bottom of the church you can see a small hole. I was curious to what the inside looked like so I squeezed myself in..heres the inside (as best as I could get). Its crooked and doesn't show much I know.

Hi Courtney, I like your B&W shot with the tree,
    and I like the light on the windows to the left of the tree.

It's sad to see such beautiful buildings abandoned.
    Nicely capture clap.gif ... Skippy :D

(not a wise idea to encourage anyone to trespass)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    I think that old church makes a great subject but personally, I'd like to see more of it and less of the tree. Maybe put the tree off center to show more of the church. I think the tree can help the photo, but maybe give it less of a prominent role in the photo? Either way, I think there would be lots of great photos there at that place. Details and so on.
    edited January 1, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    That is a beautiful old church...... The picture is well composed and well presentedthumb.gifthumb..... I think that you should do a little pp on the second picture. I believe that it is a better picture than you think.

Thank you... very much! :D I'll take your advise on the second picture.. and see what I come up with thanks!
    Courtney
    edited January 1, 2009
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi Courtney, I like your B&W shot with the tree,
    and I like the light on the windows to the left of the tree.

It's sad to see such beautiful buildings abandoned.
    Nicely capture clap.gif ... Skippy :D

(not a wise idea to encourage anyone to trespass)

Oh come on Skippy!! wheres the excitment in staying behind the fence haha.. I'm just kidding.. well sorta:D Thank you for your comments! and I agree it is sad to see such a beautiful historic building wasted.
    Courtney
    edited January 1, 2009
    kygarden wrote:
    I think that old church makes a great subject but personally, I'd like to see more of it and less of the tree. Maybe put the tree off center to show more of the church. I think the tree can help the photo, but maybe give it less of a prominent role in the photo? Either way, I think there would be lots of great photos there at that place. Details and so on.
    Thank you! Its about a 40 min. drive from where I live so maybe I'll go back and take a few more detailed shots. Thanks!! :D
    Courtney