Advice on Outdoor Clipping?

AngryRedAngryRed Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited January 5, 2009 in People
Hey guys Happy New Year! I'm looking for some advice on handling clipping when taking outdoor portraits. I have what I think is a decent portrait of my daughter but I'm looking for some ideas on dealing with the clipping from the sky in the upper right corner.

Savanna1.jpg

So far my only idea has been to select the sky and attempt a gradient color conversion of the area with some blurring of the line where the rocks meet the sky, but it looks fake to me. Any other ideas? It seems so distracting to me in its normal state.

Savanna2.jpg
Love this place, but I am an ADV rider too!
F800GS

Comments

• TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    I have the solution for you!!! Expose for the sky and fill with a strobe!
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    For this particular shot..you could add a gradient. Use your histogram as your source of info rather than the LCD.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • AzuriteAzurite Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Don't you just hate when you get a nice shot that needs a fix? I do too! Since it's too late to go back and expose for the sky and add a strobe (other advice you got), what about layering with a photo of a sky?

Or I've had images with a tiny amount of blue sky and could select the sky, color adjust to add more blue and then saturate the blue..... that's all I got.... :D
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    The best way is to pay attention to the background before you take the picture...the bigger problem is the rock line going through the middle of her head.
    For the picture you posted..just leave the background how it is.
    Blown backgrounds are actually the new style these days..it looks fine as is.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    I agree, sky is ok as it is, no need to add the blue. But is you are set on adding a gradient, don't forget to use dithering (or add noise), otherwise you'll end up with all sorts of banding problems at different resolutions...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • AngryRedAngryRed Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Thanks all.
    Love this place, but I am an ADV rider too!
    F800GS