First HDR Attempt - Mesa Arch

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited January 1, 2009 in Landscapes
Well, I buckled and snagged Photomatix to see what all the fuss was about. And also because Photoshop utterly ruined the HDR attempt of this shot. :giggle

This is six shots blended together. Any tips on how to make it even better, or to simply bend Photomatix more to my will? :wink

446234207_K2Z9N-L.jpg

Thanks for stopping by! :thumb

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Beautiful shot Kerry. Undoubtedly you can get many variations of this image with Photomatix. Some might nit the halos, but they don't bother me. I might experiment with some more dramatic contrast since Photomatix lets you do that. In any event congrats on a beautiful shot and I'm sure a great adventure. clap.gifclap.gif

Dan
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Looks good to me as-is!

As far as my own personal usage of Photomatix, I always use the details enhancer (local adjustments) instead of the "tone compressor" (global adjustments - looks like crap usually). The only sliders I ever mess with are strength, saturation, white point, black point, gamma, and color temperature. I leave the "Light Smoothing" on 4 or 5, anything lower and you get ridiculous halos (it's a good way to get the cartoon type HDR effect, but that's not what I want most of the time). After generating the tone mapped tiff, I go back into Photoshop and adjust the levels, curves, and sharpening (often the tone mapped file will be a little washed out and you need to do a levels adjustment to get the contrast right and have it pop a little more).

Also, I usually take three bracketed shots 2 stops apart (often times having the middle exposure a stop underexposed to bring out the colors more). Obviously you might want to do more or less depending on the contrast ratio of the scene (3 exposures may not be enough to capture the full range). I usually don't worry about capturing the full range though, three exposures is almost always fine, and I'm perfectly happy with leaving some shadow in, using HDR to show detail in every part of the photo misses the point IMO.

Anyway, have fun experimenting, your first attempt definitely worked out well :D
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Thanks, Dan! I was focusing so much on avoiding halos on the top of the arch I didn't even see the ones inside the arch until you mentioned them. I, for one, hate halos, so I'll have to play closer attention. :D

Ron, thanks so much for the tips! I started with the details enhancer but the image looked so washed out no matter what I futzed with I gave up. I'll have to try the double-hit with PS you suggest to see if I like it any better than this tone-compressed version. thumb.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Thanks, Dan! I was focusing so much on avoiding halos on the top of the arch I didn't even see the ones inside the arch until you mentioned them. I, for one, hate halos, so I'll have to play closer attention. :D

Ron, thanks so much for the tips! I started with the details enhancer but the image looked so washed out no matter what I futzed with I gave up. I'll have to try the double-hit with PS you suggest to see if I like it any better than this tone-compressed version. thumb.gif

Cool, good luck! Usually I've found the washed-out-ness is due to the gamma slider being too far to the right.