Boxing Spider?

l2oBiNl2oBiN Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
edited January 2, 2009 in Holy Macro
Can anyone id this spider? He was quite large (with legs spread, almost the size of a palm) and had clubs at the two forefront feet.

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    l2oBiN wrote:
    Can anyone id this spider? He was quite large (with legs spread, almost the size of a palm) and had clubs at the two forefront feet.

I believe this is a Golden Orb (but I may very well be wrong)
    When I was in Cains several years ago, we went over to one of the Islands and to my amazement saw one of these on a wall and thought it was an ornament they had put up.

We stood and watched it for ages, I was afraid to get too close for fear it might jump on me ..... they are a frightful size some of those spiders you get up your way.

Check out this thing .... this would be enough to scare the daylights out of anyone !

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,,24540271-3102,00.html

Great shot thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Good capture- whatever it is, think it must be a male.
    Brian V.
  • l2oBiNl2oBiN Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    I was just suprised to find out it has clubs on its front feet/acessory mouthparts. I though it was one of the fishing spiders with the net but then saw the clubs.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    l2oBiN wrote:
    I was just suprised to find out it has clubs on its front feet/acessory mouthparts. I though it was one of the fishing spiders with the net but then saw the clubs.

Think you will find these are the modified pedipalps that males have for signalling and sperm carrying.
    Brian V.