Options

Question about Bluer Skies Brush in Quick Fix in Elements 7

CattailCattail Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited January 19, 2009 in Finishing School
I'm new to DSLRs, Elements 7 and Smugmug. Probably a recipe for disastor, so I need some help.

I downloaded a 3MB jpeg file into Elements 7. I applied the standard editing changes in Guided Edit editing space (Cropping, Sharpening, Color Saturation, etc). However, I also applied the Bluer Skies brush from Quick Fix editing space.

My questions:

1. After applying the Bluer Skies effect to the file it grew from 3MB to over 15MB! Why did that happen? Does the Bluer Skies layer increase the file size that much?

2. There's no Apply button to click on in Quick Fix like there is in Guided Edit, so I couldn't get the flashing outline for the Bluer Skies to stop flashing. How do you Apply the Bluer Skies change that I made?

3. Since I couldn't figure out how to Apply it I just clicked Save As like I normally do. But when I did that it didn't give me the Save As dialouge box where I can chose the jpeg file size. It just automatically saved the image. How do I adjust the file size so I can upload to Smugmug?

4. Also, when the image did save it doesn't show up on my hard disk file like all the other saved files have. It only shows up when I go back into Elements 7. Why is that?

5. Lastly, is the Bluer Skies brush only available in the Quick Fix?

Apologize for all the questions, but I'm really looking forward to someone being able to help me. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited January 3, 2009
    Welcome to dgrin, Cattail.

I suspect the brush creates a mask and a new layer to select and darken your sky and that is why the image file is larger. You may have to collapse the layers back to one layer, but that is a guess from my understanding of Photoshop as I do not use Elements. Sorry I cannnot explain more for you

Hopefully a user of PS Elements will be a long to answer your question.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Erin DigitalPhotosForMomsErin DigitalPhotosForMoms Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 3, 2009
    Cattail wrote:
    I'm new to DSLRs, Elements 7 and Smugmug. Probably a recipe for disastor, so I need some help.

I downloaded a 3MB jpeg file into Elements 7. I applied the standard editing changes in Guided Edit editing space (Cropping, Sharpening, Color Saturation, etc). However, I also applied the Bluer Skies brush from Quick Fix editing space.

My questions:

1. After applying the Bluer Skies effect to the file it grew from 3MB to over 15MB! Why did that happen? Does the Bluer Skies layer increase the file size that much?

2. There's no Apply button to click on in Quick Fix like there is in Guided Edit, so I couldn't get the flashing outline for the Bluer Skies to stop flashing. How do you Apply the Bluer Skies change that I made?

3. Since I couldn't figure out how to Apply it I just clicked Save As like I normally do. But when I did that it didn't give me the Save As dialouge box where I can chose the jpeg file size. It just automatically saved the image. How do I adjust the file size so I can upload to Smugmug?

4. Also, when the image did save it doesn't show up on my hard disk file like all the other saved files have. It only shows up when I go back into Elements 7. Why is that?

5. Lastly, is the Bluer Skies brush only available in the Quick Fix?

Apologize for all the questions, but I'm really looking forward to someone being able to help me. Thank you.

Hi Cattail,

I'm new here too! I can try to help you.

1. As Pathfinder said, the Bluer Skies feature does create a new Adjustment Layer with a Layer Mask, This will make your file size much bigger.

2. In Quick Fix, the effect is added automatically - you don't need to apply. The Bluer Skies is pretty subtle, so you might not notice is at first. You can increase the appearance of the effect by going to Full Edit and looking in the Layers Palette for the Blue Skies layer. Click on this layer to activate it, then increase the opacity of this layer by with the Opacity Slider in the top right corner of the Layers Palette. The opacity for this adjustment defaults to 75%, and you can increase it up to 100%.

3. Adding the adjustment layer makes the file a PSD (photoshop file) rather than a JPEG, which is why you didn't get the JPEG file size box. When you select Save As, in the first dialogue box, change the Format field from PSD to JPEG (not JPEG 2000). Then you will get the sizing box you expect. Aslo, I think that some format types (like Collages) can't be saved as JPEGs, but I'm not sure about that.

4. PSD files don't show thumbnails on your harddrive. You can probably see the file on your hardrive, but it looks like a blue Adobe logo rather than a thumbnail of the picture. Saving as a JPEG will change that.

5. The Blue Skies adjustment is also available in the Full Edit as a Smart Brush tip.

Sorry for the wordiness!

Erin
    Digital Photography For Moms
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2009
    Erin,
    Thank you very much for your help. Everything you suggested worked well. Thanks again!!
    Hi Cattail,

I'm new here too! I can try to help you.

1. As Pathfinder said, the Bluer Skies feature does create a new Adjustment Layer with a Layer Mask, This will make your file size much bigger.

2. In Quick Fix, the effect is added automatically - you don't need to apply. The Bluer Skies is pretty subtle, so you might not notice is at first. You can increase the appearance of the effect by going to Full Edit and looking in the Layers Palette for the Blue Skies layer. Click on this layer to activate it, then increase the opacity of this layer by with the Opacity Slider in the top right corner of the Layers Palette. The opacity for this adjustment defaults to 75%, and you can increase it up to 100%.

3. Adding the adjustment layer makes the file a PSD (photoshop file) rather than a JPEG, which is why you didn't get the JPEG file size box. When you select Save As, in the first dialogue box, change the Format field from PSD to JPEG (not JPEG 2000). Then you will get the sizing box you expect. Aslo, I think that some format types (like Collages) can't be saved as JPEGs, but I'm not sure about that.

4. PSD files don't show thumbnails on your harddrive. You can probably see the file on your hardrive, but it looks like a blue Adobe logo rather than a thumbnail of the picture. Saving as a JPEG will change that.

5. The Blue Skies adjustment is also available in the Full Edit as a Smart Brush tip.

Sorry for the wordiness!

Erin
    Digital Photography For Moms
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2009
    You were correct Pathfinder. Thank you!
    pathfinder wrote:
    Welcome to dgrin, Cattail.

I suspect the brush creates a mask and a new layer to select and darken your sky and that is why the image file is larger. You may have to collapse the layers back to one layer, but that is a guess from my understanding of Photoshop as I do not use Elements. Sorry I cannnot explain more for you

Hopefully a user of PS Elements will be a long to answer your question.