67th Street Dunes - Last shot of 2008

TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
edited January 13, 2009 in Landscapes
C&C Welcomed. Thank you for making 2008 a great year and I wish everyone a happy and prosperous 2009!

446439455_mJ3Gz-L-1.jpg

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Wow Travis what great color and shapes! A perfect cloud formation and light for a spectacular shot. Thanks for sharing thumb.gif
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Thank you Schmoo. The image is composed of 25 exposures - 5 images bracketed by 5 one-stop exposures. Each image was processed through Photomatix and then the resulting 5 images were merged in Photoshop and final adjustments made in Lightroom.
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Love the contrast and color in the dunes on the right contrasted with the blue sky. The buildings on the lower left seem a little distracting to me but I really like the sand dunes over there. Do you think reducing the exposure on those buildings might enhance the picture?
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Travis wrote:
    Thank you Schmoo. The image is composed of 25 exposures - 5 images bracketed by 5 one-stop exposures. Each image was processed through Photomatix and then the resulting 5 images were merged in Photoshop and final adjustments made in Lightroom.

Does The Guinness Book of Records know about this? :D:D:D

Breathtaking! clap.gifclapclap.gif
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • jstpeterjstpeter Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Travis,

Very nice image. 25 exposures! Wow that is a lot of post work. Curious as to why 5 differnet images. Is the photo also stiched together? I would like to hear more about your 25 exposire workflow.
    Would love to hear from you on my blog, or website!
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Travis wrote:
    C&C Welcomed. Thank you for making 2008 a great year and I wish everyone a happy and prosperous 2009!

Very nice work, Travis. Reminds me of my capture of an Iowa sunset a few months ago. Same kinds of clouds.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
    edited January 5, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Love the contrast and color in the dunes on the right contrasted with the blue sky. The buildings on the lower left seem a little distracting to me but I really like the sand dunes over there. Do you think reducing the exposure on those buildings might enhance the picture?

Thanks for the suggestion Hawkeye. I play around with it a little more to see if it improves the image.
    edited January 5, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    Does The Guinness Book of Records know about this? :D:D:D

Breathtaking! clap.gifclapclap.gif

I think Baldie has the Guinness record so I'll just settle for a draft. rolleyes1.gif
    edited January 5, 2009
    jstpeter wrote:
    Travis,

Very nice image. 25 exposures! Wow that is a lot of post work. Curious as to why 5 differnet images. Is the photo also stiched together? I would like to hear more about your 25 exposire workflow.

It was mainly trial and error. The reason for so many exposures is because I wanted to expand the dynamic range of the scene and create a large image to print while maintaining detail. Here is what I did (whether or not it is the correct way to do it is anyone's guess :D)

At capture:

1. Secure the camera on the tripod in portrait orientation.
    2. Set lens to 18mm
    3. Set Auto-bracket to +-0.7 (I mistakenly said 1.0 before) for 5-shot range (-1.4 to +1.4).
    4. Take the first composition (5 shots), turn the camera leaving about a 1/4 overlap and shoot the next composition, and repeat.

2. Select the 5-exposures for Composition 1
    3. Export to Photomatix
    4. Process HDR file and save the settings as a preset
    5. Save combined image as a 16-bit TIFF
    6. Follow the same process for each of the remaining comps using the saved preset to keep them similar.
    7. Open Photoshop CS3
    8. Select File>Automate>Photomerge and let CS3 stitch the image together
    9. Save file as 16-bit PSD.
    10. Import the PSD into Lightroom
    11. Perform additional modifications - clarity, vibrance, selective brush (exposure, etc)
    12. Generate jpg
    13. Cook dinner while jpg is processing rolleyes1.gif

That is pretty much it.
    edited January 5, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Travis wrote:

Very nice work, Travis. Reminds me of my capture of an Iowa sunset a few months ago. Same kinds of clouds.

Wow, that sky is almost a perfect match! Except I bet you had a much better process for getting there. mwink.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    That sky is spectacular! Where was it taken? North Carolina?
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Woo, I somehow missed this one. Incredible sky! Beautiful light. thumb.gif
    edited January 12, 2009
    Thank you Linda and Kerry. It's funny... I posted this shot for feedback and it sat around for several days before I got the first comment. :D The shot was taken at the Virginia Beach oceanfront up at the northend of the beach.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Very Impressive Travis thumb.gif

Thanks for posting it.
    Randy
    edited January 13, 2009
    Thanks Randy!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    I'm really loving this shot, Travis- talk about "big sky"! Absolutely beautiful. Are you going to print it huge to take advantage of all that dynamic range? :D
    edited January 13, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I'm really loving this shot, Travis- talk about "big sky"! Absolutely beautiful. Are you going to print it huge to take advantage of all that dynamic range? :D

That's the plan. I've order a 12x18 as a test print with the intention of printing a 3x4.5' or 4x6' if I like what I see. I have a room in my house that is going to be in a beach theme so I think this will look good displayed on one wall.