New Years Reflection (thoughts that is)

howbouchahowboucha Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
edited January 1, 2009 in People
So, who is the new girl? I asked Turner, who the last time I had the opportunity to ask such an odd question was exactly one year ago.

“I am not sure, I think she is with Steve”.

Oh, I see, the annual “new couple” that will never return to our New Years Gathering.

“Yes, I guess so, it’s your turn to roll”.

By the way, who is Steve?

“I am not sure, I think he is friends with Brad. Again, roll”

So I went back to playing this newly formed make rules as you go drinking game with the seven other friends I was with last year, and all was good.

446544073_eZD8C-L.jpg

Our tradition formed about twenty years ago with Jay, my good friend. We vowed-for the most part-that we would spend New Years eve together-whenever possible. Back then it was a comfort and surety thing. We had our regular plan so that we wouldn’t get into the “where we going to go” trap or feel obligated to attend the popular fifty dollar a person DJ Dance with a bottle of champagne at the end of the night event. You know the kind, where you bump into people you really don’ like, but since you are all together, its okay. Our tradition is nice, and I always look forward to being with our close friends, and of course the occasional “new couple” we will never see again.

268849866_YqxCq-L.jpg

Last night wasn’t much different than the others. But this was one that I “let loose” a little more than years past. Maybe I am looking at life differently. Maybe I needed to escape. I am not a “drinker” for various reasons. My motivator to sip bourbon instead of slam it is that I have a health condition that basically says, “Hey stupid, you shouldn’t drink”. I did the traditional say and do stuff that when I do run for congress, won’t keep me from getting elected in the primary, but would be good fodder for the formed for the election Convenient Christian Conservative group to help me loose in the general election.

But if I didn’t do something strange for the collective, something would be wrong. It is expected. My friends wonder what kind of crazy antic I will do each year, all while wearing my traditional Osh Kosh bibs, cigar and flask in the chest pocket. Yes, photos were taken but I cannot share. I bet there is something on YouTube by now.

During the evening, it seemed when conversations fizzed out; we would segue to the new girl. She was very attractive, with a Mediterranean air about her. She would spin our friend’s daughter around the room, and I admittedly was lost in the moment. Her boyfriend would join in, and the three would spin together. During that escape, no worries of 2008 or anxiety of 2009 came to my head. I think this is one of those realities of getting older. Watching them was nice. I wondered if that was me at that age? I drifted off thinking about what was I missing in life?

446543468_kphad-L.jpg

Her interpretation of the moment when I photographed her was probably “who is the creepy guy with the big camera”.

As the night went on I enjoyed the merriment and being with the others.

By midnight I was admittedly “three sheets to the wind.” The clock struck twelve, and I was alone. Jennifer escaped to the bathroom. Maybe it was coincidence, or possibly she didn’t want to be with me at the time. Years ago I would have been worried about, now, no big deal. We kissed shortly after the ball dropped, and started the year off right. We both posted little notes on our facebook iPhone page in the “tag, your it” style of Happy New year response to the others in our friends list. We sent and received texts that if we re-read today, will make no sense.

We stayed up until three playing Sing-Song until it was time to head home. Another New Years tradition, similar to years before, spent with old friends, and the new couple we probably will not see again.

We drove home in the nicest car that we have ever owned, with few worries of what bill isn’t going to get paid, to our wonderful-simple home nestled in the woods to see our dogs. Into the drive, Jennifer started to read aloud my Facebook post. “You really posted Goodbye to a Great 2008 and Looking Forward to a Prosperous and Healthy 2009?”

That is exactly what I posted, with sincerity. She continued with “2008 was one of my worst years”.

Remember that moment of the new girl spinning around the room? This was similar. I drifted off into another “what am I missing” mode.

I (we) had life trials in 2008, just has we have all years past. Three years ago when I realized how fragile life is, was my worst and best year. I almost died, but in essence developed a new life.

I am no different than anyone else. I am not better nor worse. This stage of my life is one that I can look back and comfortably acknowledge that there is not one major thing I would do differently. I can use the New Year as an excuse to do things to better my life, but like everyone else I will forget about those “resolutions” by mid February.

Today I will carry on another tradition, of driving (too sluggish to ride) down to the Tulip Trestle and photographing, and shooting a goofy self portrait.

446555476_CRm4c-L-0.jpg

Taking care of the little, easy to attain things in life such as positive relationships with family, being thankful for my friendships and not taking them for granted, and stopping to enjoy the little moments such as the girl spinning around floor, will help balance the hardships and heartaches and allow me in a year to note that 2009 was a great year, and I look forward to a healthy and prosperous 2010.
I like to take pictures :)

My SmugMug site: http://www.purplepug.com
My V-Strom Site: http://www.stromtrooper.com

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    howboucha wrote:
    ...and allow me in a year to note that 2009 was a great year, and I look forward to a healthy and prosperous 2010.
    Are... you... from the future? bowdown.gif
    mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"