Noobie just having some fun

bosco0633bosco0633 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited January 2, 2009 in Holy Macro
I had a great new years dinner with this little flower on our table. Thought I would take a quick picture just to see what I could do. I am really new to photography and feel that there is only one way to get better, and that is through trial and error.

Details
Nikon D300
200mm f5.6
ISO 800
1/60sec.

some pp work done through ligthroom

I start my college course in 2 weeks and look forward to learning as much as I can. Thanks for taking the time to view my photo. I know that it is not great, but any input you give me, I will try and take another photo before the flower dies.

_DSC1372_filtered-1.jpg

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    I moved this from the Whipping Post, since the WP is for your best work. Since you freely admit this needs work, it doesn't belong there. Come back with your best!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • bosco0633bosco0633 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    DavidTO wrote:
    I moved this from the Whipping Post, since the WP is for your best work. Since you freely admit this needs work, it doesn't belong there. Come back with your best!

I am sorry, I should have known better.

Thanks for moving it for me.

I shot this inside hence the higher ISO. I want to invest in a tripod so that I can take a longer exposure for these types of shots.
    edited January 1, 2009
    bosco0633 wrote:
    I am sorry, I should have known better.

Thanks for moving it for me.

I shot this inside hence the higher ISO. I want to invest in a tripod so that I can take a longer exposure for these types of shots.

Did you change the shot? I would have put this in Other Cool Shots, but I remember the one you posted as being a Macro on the flower.

In any case, I'll leave it and let Skippy decide if it should be put elsewhere. You're hard to keep up with!!! lol3.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited January 1, 2009
    I just scaled it down a bit so it wasnt so bloody big.

Sorry if I caused any problems for you mate.

Happy new year
    edited January 1, 2009
    bosco0633 wrote:
    I just scaled it down a bit so it wasnt so bloody big.

Sorry if I caused any problems for you mate.

Happy new year

No problems at all. I'm just getting myself confused, I guess!!! lol3.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    Pic as posted is a little small but here goes.
    Looks pretty good- nice colour and focus.

The flower looks a bit tight in the frame - I would either have taken a closer shot of the center or moved out a bit to give the flower some room.
    Assume this flower is part of a small floral decoration which makes it harder to isolate the subject but I think a more open aperture would have helped give more BG blur.

Having said that I'm pretty useless on whole flower shots- for me they need too much work on the lighting to make them look interesting.

Brian V.
    edited January 2, 2009
    thanks so much, I really appreciate the help. I only hope to get better in 2009, so comments like this really help me out.

Take care, im off to the Butterfly Conservatory today in Niagara Falls with a friend of mine who is teaching me some things. He is an amazing photographer and I hope to be a sponge around him today.