Options

Anyone using microdrives?

tlittletontlittleton Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
edited May 21, 2005 in Accessories
I was looking at getting a bigger CF card for my camera, and noticed that for the price of one Lexar 4GB Pro, I could almost buy two 6GB Hitachi Microdrives. Does anyone use these? The extra space would be great, but I know the transfer rates are a little slower than the Lexar Pro cards.

At first I was concerned about them being bumped around, but I figure that if they can use something this size in an iPod Mini, it should be okay in my camera.

Of course, then there is battery life to consider....:scratch

Any thoughts on that?

Comments

• Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    I have one and am happy with it. I understand that they are not as durable as a CF card, but I have had no issues at all. The D2H that I am using it in has enough buffer to compensate for the speed issue most of the time, but the speed differance is noticable.

James.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited May 17, 2005
    I'm a reasonably happy Microdrive user.

I've purposefully dropped the thing and it's still ok. But as has been mentioned,
    they are SLOW to write. If you're shooting high speed action and use the
    shotgun approach to getting good pictures, this probably isn't for you. If you're
    shooting with a 1ds or similar, I probably wouldn't use one (write speed too
    slow).

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    I have a 1 GB IBM card. I'm quite satisfied with it, even though it's a little slow...
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    CtPhotoGirlCtPhotoGirl Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited May 19, 2005
    we use the 4gb microdrives.. Im instrested in what people say about this as well.
    We have 4... Two for my camera two for my husbands.. Once we are full on one.. well not complete becasue we dont like to "take all the photos" on one.. we like to unload the other and it takes a long eitm to offload one.. so we needed to get another to put in the camer and take photos as one was unloading...
    we have been using them for the past year and NO faults what so ever we havent run into any problems using them. *knock on wood*

I recommed these... You DO have to format them.. just like any CF card :)
  • Options
    XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2005
    tlittleton wrote:
    I was looking at getting a bigger CF card for my camera, and noticed that for the price of one Lexar 4GB Pro, I could almost buy two 6GB Hitachi Microdrives. Does anyone use these? The extra space would be great, but I know the transfer rates are a little slower than the Lexar Pro cards.

At first I was concerned about them being bumped around, but I figure that if they can use something this size in an iPod Mini, it should be okay in my camera.

Of course, then there is battery life to consider....headscratch.gif

Any thoughts on that?
    Ok I have a NIKON D70
    I have 2 512 Mb flashcards which are lightning fast, and one 2Gb Hitachi Microdrive.

A couple of things:
    For action I always use the flashcards, they are significantly faster and on my D70 the difference is noticeable (actually the difference is humongous) now pending your camera, teh difference might be unnoticeable.

So far my microdrive has been flawless, and I find that 2 Gb is plenty for what I do. The microdrive is fast enough for the usual snap, recompose, focus, snap, i.e. other than action, continuous shooting, I never have to wait for the microdrive.

Batterylife, the microdrive will significantly reduce my batterylife, lookup on Thom Hogans site what the difference is. Now with that said, with my D70 battery life as is, we are talking something like 500 shots with a flash card vs 200 some with a microdrive.

PCMCIA card adapter. The flashcards fit perfectly into a little adapter that first my laptop PCMCIA card, the microdrive does not. The microdrive does however fit the flash card slot on the desktop.

FWIW,
    YMMV,

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2005
    Not using it anymore
    tlittleton wrote:

Of course, then there is battery life to consider....headscratch.gif

Any thoughts on that?
    I had one incident with my 5Gb (I admit, it was pulled out of Rio and was not designed for generic use), which made me drop the idea of using moving parts in a field environment. I'm using CF solid state cards now and happy with them. Yes, they are more expensive, but imagine what happens if you lose 6Gb worth of unique pictures..
    Just my 2 bits:-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    I had one incident with my 5Gb (I admit, it was pulled out of Rio and was not designed for generic use), which made me drop the idea of using moving parts in a field environment. I'm using CF solid state cards now and happy with them. Yes, they are more expensive, but imagine what happens if you lose 6Gb worth of unique pictures..
    Just my 2 bits:-)
    Just so you know, it happens with solid state stuff too. Otherwise, why would
    Lexar ship image rescue software with their CF cards :D

Ian
  • Options
    tlittletontlittleton Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2005
    ian408 wrote:

Ian
    Heh...only problem is they put it on the card. Which of course I promptly formatted in camera.:D
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    yes, but
    ian408 wrote:
    Just so you know, it happens with solid state stuff too. Otherwise, why would

Ian
    not to the degree it happens to MDs.. I never even heard of solid-state CF card going sour, while with MDs I heard a bunch and experienced it first-hand..:-(
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    not to the degree it happens to MDs.. I never even heard of solid-state CF card going sour, while with MDs I heard a bunch and experienced it first-hand..:-(
    Some memories have something called flex-repair that allow them to be
    "fixed" on the fly. Meaning they have the equiv of what used to be done
    using fuses at the factory during manufacture, is now done on powerup
    each and every time the part is powered up. So these become more reliable.

I would agree that solid state is more reliable than mechanical storage
    devices. But don't fool yourself into thinking that because it's solid state
    it won't fail :D

Ian
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 21, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:

I had a SanDisk 1 Gb Ultra card fail after one photo shoot in a 10D. And Sandisk did replace it as defective with an Ultra II. I have also lost images with a Lexar 80X CF card, like was described recently at dpreview.com

I have used a 4Gb MicroDrive for 2 years without incident.

So I agree with Ian, I favor CF - solid state - over mechanical drives, but neither is without its failures. I off load my images to two seperate hard drives and a DVD for final storage.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin