Cupcakes

Grumpy_oneGrumpy_one Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
edited January 8, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
We all had a hand in making these, Mom, daughter, son, and I...enjoy
446948526_4WmT4-L.jpg
5D3, 7D, 50 1.4, 580EX, EFS 70-200L 2.8 IS MkI, 1.4x TC, 24-70 MKII, 85 1.8,(that's it ...for now)
http://www.happyvalleyphotography.com

Comments

• happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    First, the concept of the cupcakes is SO COOL and I am passing the idea on to my sister, who does cakes (and cupcakes) for a living.

Second, how did you light that? It almost looks like you have an individual light on each of the "pins?"
  • Grumpy_oneGrumpy_one Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    First, the concept of the cupcakes is SO COOL and I am passing the idea on to my sister, who does cakes (and cupcakes) for a living.

Second, how did you light that? It almost looks like you have an individual light on each of the "pins?"

I painted the light. I'll explain. I shot in a totally dark room (kitchen), stopped down the camera as far as it would go (f/22), opened the shutter on bulb, and took a flash light (3 cell mag) and "painted" each cupcake with the flashlight. It was real easy. Good luck. And as far as the cupcakes....they taste terrible. rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifIt's almost all frosting. Bottom is regular size cupcake, mid is upside down mini cupcake, top is doughnut hole. We spread the frosting on to form the pin, put in freezer to firm it up, then dip in melted frosting to give smooth finish. Stripes were done with fruit roll ups. Good luck
    5D3, 7D, 50 1.4, 580EX, EFS 70-200L 2.8 IS MkI, 1.4x TC, 24-70 MKII, 85 1.8,(that's it ...for now)
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    Very creative! Picture and cupcakes, I mean. rolleyes1.gif

In a book I have, there's an image of billiard balls set up and lit to look like a Christmas tree: Shot in a darkened room, like your shot here, and all the light "painted" on, including the Christmas tree lights.

Well done! A fun shot. thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    clap.gif Very creative ! clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Great idea. Look like a lot of fun - especially after you finished the project, I'm sure that they tasted great as well.rolleyes1.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Grumpy_one wrote:
    We all had a hand in making these, Mom, daughter, son, and I...enjoy

Wow how creative clap.gif not only the making of the cupcakes and their shape, but your lighting technique.

You've done a great job, the lighting looks really good.
    I like it a lot nod.gif Well Done, and thanks for sharing how you did it thumb.gif

..... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Great idea and very well executed.

thumb.gif
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Heheeeee...this is really cool. Great idea and love the lighting!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    I am going to try something like this this week, do you mind if I post my results here?
  • Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Very cool concept, and I am going to have to experiment with the "light paint" technique. I've learned something new today, I can quit now. mwink.gif
    Scooba Steve

Shades of Hyperion photography
    Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking
  • Grumpy_oneGrumpy_one Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    I am going to try something like this this week, do you mind if I post my results here?
    Why of course!!
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 8, 2009
    very cool work! I like it!thumb.gif