Options

Need Help w/ B&W

dirtfandirtfan Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited January 7, 2009 in Technique
I'am going to the Pa Coal region's over the weekend and was thinking of trying to shoot B&W,never tried before so I guess I'am asking what are some good base line settings.I should be getting my new Sigma 18-55 f2.8 today so I can't wait to try it.thanks Darren

Comments

• Options
    gchappelgchappel Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    If you would post the type of camera and software you use, we might be able to help more. In general I find that composition is different when I think B&W vs color. Exposure is the same. I do my B&W conversions in photoshop as I find it gives me the most control Many cameras have a B&W setting. They usually are not a bad place to start. Enjoy the shot, love what you are seeing.
    Gary
  • Options
    PamaniPamani Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    D90 with a 50mm 1.4D Lightroom 2.0
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    dirtfan wrote:
    I'am going to the Pa Coal region's over the weekend and was thinking of trying to shoot B&W,never tried before so I guess I'am asking what are some good base line settings.I should be getting my new Sigma 18-55 f2.8 today so I can't wait to try it.thanks Darren

do yourself a favor and just shoot in raw. then you can have any kind of cake you want....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    BrendanBrendan Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    dirtfan wrote:
    When I shoot in B&W, I generally shoot RAW. This lets me keep a color copy just in case the colors are amazing. Having a color copy also lets me do a more nuanced B&W conversion in Photoshop. I usually use the channel mixer adjustment layer or the Gorman-Holman (?) conversion action.

As far as in-camera settings go, I generally use the orange filter for a more contrasty B&W photograph, as this gets me closer to what I will most likely do in Photoshop later.

Good luck, and let us see the results!

—Brendan
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 7, 2009
    If you are not experienced in shooting B&W, I would suggest you consider shooting in RAW + jpg. The RAW file will have all the color information if you decide you like the color ( it might happen!) and the jpg will let you see what a B&W image will look like. Think about a B&W conversion setting in the camera for and orange filter or a red filter - this will give dramatic dark skies with white fluffy clouds. You can still do a final B&W conversion in Photoshop from the RAW image, so the only real loss if a few more bits on your memory cards, and Compact Flash OR SD cards are cheap these days.

Shooting B&W is about form, and light and shadow.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin