Smoky Hills Wind Farm - Lincoln County Kansas

racurtisracurtis Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
edited January 7, 2009 in Landscapes
Hello everyone. Long time listener, first time poster. I spent Christmas in central Kansas this year, in very close proximity to the Smoky Hills Wind Farm in Lincoln and Ellsworth counties. I am relatively new to this hobby and not yet completely comfortable with Photoshop, however, I think I wound up with some decent shots here. Please tell me what you all think.

Thanks in advance.

444220774_PY2ca-L.jpg

444221548_jK73f-L.jpg

444220138_SM5Wv-L.jpg

444514852_t9AP3-L.jpg

444515509_xAjMW-L.jpg

444516118_3PJoU-L.jpg

Comments

• Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    You have some nice shots here but they could quite easily be improved a lot.

#1. Overall a bit too light and washed out. If you add a brightness/contrast adjustment layer and decrease brightness and up the contrast a tad it will be much improved (especially the sky). If you are familiar with using curves, a curves adjustment would be even better. Alternatively, do Image -> Adjustment -> Shadow/Highlights and just darken the highlights and adjust the midtone contrast. Lots of ways to skin a cat just choose the one that gives the best result

#2.Level the horizon and adjust as in #1. If you are comfortable with using masks, you could limit the adjustment to the sky and windmill on this one.

#3, 4, 5 You've committed the cardinal sin of having the subject dead center which we all did in the beginning.

#3 Could be fixed by cropping the left side in to the start of the hill slope.

#4 I love the colors here. First fix the leftward tilt of the windmill. Since there are no other features but the windmill, I'd like to see this in a portrait format with the windmill still centered.

#5 Good color here. There seems to be too much black at the bottom. I'd try leveling the horizon, then cropping off about half the black making it more of a panoramic view.

#6 Again the centered subject. If this is a crop of the original, I'd go back and redo it to give it a little more room on the left and less on the right so that the windmill is about 1/3 into the frame.

All in all these are quite nice but as I said, they could easily be very very nice. Hope this helps. Looking forward to more posts from you.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • EvangelineEvangeline Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    I like #2.
    The contrast between the past and future along with the slightly "alien invasion" quality to it.
  • racurtisracurtis Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:

#1. Overall a bit too light and washed out. If you add a brightness/contrast adjustment layer and decrease brightness and up the contrast a tad it will be much improved (especially the sky). If you are familiar with using curves, a curves adjustment would be even better. Alternatively, do Image -> Adjustment -> Shadow/Highlights and just darken the highlights and adjust the midtone contrast. Lots of ways to skin a cat just choose the one that gives the best result

#2.Level the horizon and adjust as in #1. If you are comfortable with using masks, you could limit the adjustment to the sky and windmill on this one.

#3, 4, 5 You've committed the cardinal sin of having the subject dead center which we all did in the beginning.

#4 I love the colors here. First fix the leftward tilt of the windmill. Since there are no other features but the windmill, I'd like to see this in a portrait format with the windmill still centered.

#5 Good color here. There seems to be too much black at the bottom. I'd try leveling the horizon, then cropping off about half the black making it more of a panoramic view.

#6 Again the centered subject. If this is a crop of the original, I'd go back and redo it to give it a little more room on the left and less on the right so that the windmill is about 1/3 into the frame.

All in all these are quite nice but as I said, they could easily be very very nice. Hope this helps. Looking forward to more posts from you.
    Wow, thank you for the input Jack. When I get some free time this weekend I will try your suggestions. I appreciate the help!
    edited January 4, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:

OK, I was able to attempt a couple of the edits. I'm still learning the masking technique and I'm not very well versed in layers yet but I was able to try out a few of your suggestions.

#1: I tried masking the sky and then editing the levels, the brightness and contrast as well as the color hue (for the sky and turbine). I also adjusted the curves so I think it looks better, especially the sky.
    448983190_tLx8D-L.jpg

#2: I had trouble getting the blues to come out in the sky, however, I did mask it, and the turbine, and was able to adjust the levels and brightness/contrast.
    448982235_a6hG9-L.jpg

#3: I cropped per your suggestion and here is what I came up with.
    448996745_KVUCQ-L.jpg

#4: Again, cropped per your suggestion.
    448982417_9DEh4-L.jpg

#5: Cropped.
    448982473_4n7sc-L.jpg

For #6, I just wasn't able to get it cropped correctly so I'm going to punt on that one.

What do you think?
  • TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Definite improvement. I really like 4 and 5. Good color on both of those.
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    I think you've made some significant improvements here.thumb.gifthumb But what's important is what you think. To help getting up to speed with photoshop and post processing have a look at the "sticky" posts at the top of the topics list in the Technique forum and the Finishing School forum.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited January 5, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    I think you've made some significant improvements here.thumb.gifthumb But what's important is what you think. To help getting up to speed with photoshop and post processing have a look at the "sticky" posts at the top of the topics list in the Technique forum and the Finishing School forum.
    Well I think they all look great! :)
    Thanks, I will take a look at the sticky posts and see what I can get out of them. I am working with Photoshop 6.0 so I'm behind the curve a bit but I plan on upgrading to Elements 6 or 7 so that might help a bit.

Thanks again for the input everyone.
    -Alex
  • Dwayne OakesDwayne Oakes Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Here is another tip : These things look really cool with motion blur (spinning)
    and a slow shutter speed, a good time would be on an overcast
    low light day. Try f/16, ISO 100 to slow your shutter speed down and
    use a tripod and the self timer. The results will amaze you.

Take care,

Dwayne Oakes
  • TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    racurtis wrote:
    Hello everyone. Long time listener, first time poster. I spent Christmas in central Kansas this year, in very close proximity to the Smoky Hills Wind Farm in Lincoln and Ellsworth counties. I am relatively new to this hobby and not yet completely comfortable with Photoshop, however, I think I wound up with some decent shots here. Please tell me what you all think.

Welcome to Dgrin by the way.
    edited January 7, 2009
    Here is another tip : These things look really cool with motion blur (spinning)
    and a slow shutter speed, a good time would be on an overcast
    low light day. Try f/16, ISO 100 to slow your shutter speed down and
    use a tripod and the self timer. The results will amaze you.

Take care,

Dwayne Oakes
    I actually have a couple of shots where I did that. I haven't had the chance to clean these up as much so don't be too critical. :)

444515372_xshVf-L.jpg

444515641_wWtGE-L.jpg

I think that these make the turbines seem like they're spinning faster than they really are. It's still a cool effect though.
  • PreachermanPreacherman Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Welcome to Dgrin..I am sure you will enjoy it here.

I have no comments to make on the techniques etc.

But - as a general comment - I can not find anything artistic or pleasant about wind turbines!!:D We have loads in my area and they are perched on a lot of previously beautiful landscapes - breaking up the skyline, and just looking plain ugly!! As someone said - they are aliens!!

I know about green/the environment etc etc...but urghhh :D

Sorry to use your lovely photographs ( and I do admire what you are trying to do with your pictures by the way) as a chance to unload...please forgive me ne_nau.gif

Keep posting please.

Take care

John
    edited January 7, 2009
    Welcome to Dgrin..I am sure you will enjoy it here.

I have no comments to make on the techniques etc.

But - as a general comment - I can not find anything artistic or pleasant about wind turbines!!:D We have loads in my area and they are perched on a lot of previously beautiful landscapes - breaking up the skyline, and just looking plain ugly!! As someone said - they are aliens!!

I know about green/the environment etc etc...but urghhh :D

Sorry to use your lovely photographs ( and I do admire what you are trying to do with your pictures by the way) as a chance to unload...please forgive me ne_nau.gif

Keep posting please.

Take care

John
    No problem, vent away. I know my wife's family, who pass them twice a day (once going to work and again going home) don't find them near as fascinating as I do.