paypal, google checkout, etc. why?

takeflightphototakeflightphoto Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
edited January 6, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I've seen a couple threads on here about integrating PayPal or Google Checkout with a SmugMug site. My question is, Why?

My guess is to sell products that SM does not offer or to give payment options for sitting fees or other services. I can also see offering a framed photo option this way, where the customer orders from me, in total, then I get the print at my cost from SM and frame it and ship to customer.

Am i getting the idea here?

jon
www.takeflightphoto.com

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    Packages, Coupons, Pro lab printing, self fullfillment, additional products, banner printing, pano printing, payment other than credit card.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Craig RidleyCraig Ridley Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    I've seen a couple threads on here about integrating PayPal or Google Checkout with a SmugMug site. My question is, Why?

My guess is to sell products that SM does not offer or to give payment options for sitting fees or other services. I can also see offering a framed photo option this way, where the customer orders from me, in total, then I get the print at my cost from SM and frame it and ship to customer.

Am i getting the idea here?

jon
    www.takeflightphoto.com[/quote]

For those of us who reside outside of the US, the use of PayPal allows for the ability to sell photos in local currency and also support self-fulfilment. I am in the process now of switching my entire site over to paypal payments so I can manage my photo orders this way as people were not comfortable paying in US$ and also paying international shipping (and since my customers are all in Australia this really makes sense).

One day when smugmug supports multi-currency (and even perhaps a pro lab in Australia) I will switch it back but for the mean time I will use smugmug to display photos and paypal to receive payments.
    My Site: http://www.craigridley.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/craigridleyoutdoorphotography

Want to save $5 on a smugmug account? Use this coupon code: WzG2eZLQPGrqI
  • TalkieTTalkieT Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    For those of us who reside outside of the US, the use of PayPal allows for the ability to sell photos in local currency and also support self-fulfilment. I am in the process now of switching my entire site over to paypal payments so I can manage my photo orders this way as people were not comfortable paying in US$ and also paying international shipping (and since my customers are all in Australia this really makes sense).

One day when smugmug supports multi-currency (and even perhaps a pro lab in Australia) I will switch it back but for the mean time I will use smugmug to display photos and paypal to receive payments.

I'll be watching your progress with interest. I too am frustrated by the US-centric approach on Smugmug. I can't complain about the service, the site, and I DEFINITELY can't complain about the support - it's just the unfortuncate fact that there don't appear to be enough overseas customers for SMugmug to implement local currencies... This request has been around for years and we've heard nothing about it from SM. (Except the polite answers that they're always looking to improve the service).

Cheers - N
    --
    http://www.nzsnaps.com (talkiet.smugmug.com)
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    TalkieT wrote:
    .. This request has been around for years and we've heard nothing about it from SM. (Except the polite answers that they're always looking to improve the service).

Cheers - N
    What more can I say? I have acknowledged every single request made for this. I'm sorry we don't have it yet - we may one day, but we've been honest about the fact it's not in our short-range plans. I'm really sorry.