Options

Cold weather vs. camera

2»

Comments

• Options
    WolftepWolftep Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    Another option to consider is to use winter golf gloves, something along the lines of this...

http://www.amazon.com/Etonic-Mens-G-Sok-Winter-Gloves/dp/B000R57VUA

I don't know about sub-zero weather, but I've played golf in some pretty chilly conditions, and with a round of golf lasting in the 3 to 4 hour range, I can say they definitely do help.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited January 27, 2009
    For myself, the secret to keeping hands and feet warm is to cover my head and my neck. I usually ski with just glove liners on unless it is really cold, in the teens.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited January 27, 2009
    I used to sell gloves like the Lowepro, marketed as BMX gloves. Problem is, the weave doesn't seem very tight, wind can get through, and they don't wear very well - dots fall off, don't survive washings, etc. That said, they work OK, unless it gets below 25ºF and the wind is blowing strong.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    David_S85 wrote:
    I used to sell gloves like the Lowepro, marketed as BMX gloves. Problem is, the weave doesn't seem very tight, wind can get through, and they don't wear very well - dots fall off, don't survive washings, etc. That said, they work OK, unless it gets below 25ºF and the wind is blowing strong.

I've never had a problem like that with my Lowepro gloves. In fact, I just experienced my first below zero outing with my 3 year old pair at Bryce Canyon over New Year's. The temp was -4 and the wind was blowing strong. My face froze but my hands stayed warm.

The sub $2 wal-mart gloves might be another story altogether.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2009
    BeachBill wrote:
    I've never had a problem like that with my Lowepro gloves. In fact, I just experienced my first below zero outing with my 3 year old pair at Bryce Canyon over New Year's. The temp was -4 and the wind was blowing strong. My face froze but my hands stayed warm.
    The sub $2 wal-mart gloves might be another story altogether.

Very good to know. Thanks. Having never seen the Lowepro gloves in person, they appear in the pictures to be the same as the BMX types. I would hope the Lowepro is of a tighter and sturdier weave, as I get cold pretty fast. BMX gloves are more about grip, some protection, and made not for cold weather. They do make for a good glove liner for the seriously made-for-cold winter gloves though.

Was at Walmart not 2 hours ago, and couldn't find much there except for fully rubberized gloves or the type that looked like gardening gloves.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    David_S85 wrote:
    Was at Walmart not 2 hours ago, and couldn't find much there except for fully rubberized gloves or the type that looked like gardening gloves.

They were in the men's clothing section next to the wallets in my local Wal-Mart.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    Came across these today, seem like a good compromise:
    http://www.etretouchy.com/
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2009
    Or something like this iPod or MP3 player glove?
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
  • Options
    JRSEEJRSEE Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2009
    try a thermos
    The critical part is bringing your camera in from the cold. I take one of those thermos containers for lunchs with me and leave it outside while I shoot. The camera goes in the cooler and warms up gradually when it comes inside. Works like a charm.

Jay