Behind The Window

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited January 4, 2009 in Landscapes
I am considering entering this shot in the curreent DSS Challenge and would appreciate any and all feedback and coaching.

Thanks,

Dan

447549287_mqrQu-XL.jpg

or

Entrance

447598349_qMr4y-XL.jpg

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    The entrance seems a bit busy, but the window.....

Its nice and sharp!, and I like the colors....the cool blue and the warmth of the wood.

Three issues that could improve:

-There is some distortion due to the camera angle. A perspective correction in photoshop would fix it well...as it isn't extreme.

-I would definately like to see some of the blue wall beyond the eindow ledge. It seems amputated as is.

-The composition doesn't grab me. I think if you put more of the wall in the composition...a lot more.....you could have a stronger image, especially if it were as least roughly based on the rule of thirds.

It is an interesting window, and the blue wall unique. I do think it might be worth further experimentation.

As an aside, I had an engagement session this week with a young couple. During that shoot I also used a window and wall as part of a silloutte. My subject, was their shadow....rather than the window, but the placement may help you as you experiment with composition choices.

Here's mine.
    445820841_ys6An-S-5.jpg
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Thanks Jeff. Appreciate the coaching and the sharing. thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Hi Dan,

I prefer the first because of its simplicity, and you still have plenty of color and detail in it. The second is definitely an eye-catching scene but a bit busy. Good luck and I think these are gorgeous windows. :D
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 4, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    I prefer the first because of its simplicity, and you still have plenty of color and detail in it.

I agree. Colors in #2 are great, but prefer the comp in #1. Good stuff!

-joel
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    #1 for me also. I like the simplicity and the nice detail showing up in the wood. The greenery in the background also brings a nice bit of interest. I almost wish the door were a little more open.
  • AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Really like #1 the best the texture and the color of the wood is very appealing. I personally would want the doors open just a little more to expose more of the background. I personally would also crop the foreground right to the start of the cement and eliminate the foreground border.

Ray Still
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Did what I could on # 2 based upon comments. What do you think?

Thanks

448713544_qXsfv-XL.jpg
  • Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    I like this one better mostly because with the looser (not loser rolleyes1.gif ) crop you can tell it's a window, not a door.

Excellent!
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • davemandaveman Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    agree
    Shootin1st wrote:
    I like this one better mostly because with the looser (not loser rolleyes1.gif ) crop you can tell it's a window, not a door.

Excellent!

I agree- the second cropped like this is better - it shows what you are looking at.

I think you could really improve on your second shot above - of the door, if you cropped it so the edges are the purple wall on both sides - and use transform tool in PS to reduce the distortion. Just a thought - let me know if this not clear and you want me to show you what I am thinking.