Options

Photoshop Question

goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
edited January 3, 2009 in Finishing School
I recently started a course of graphic design (for my major) and it requires me to use Photoshop7. Since I have just started photography and have never used photoshop before it has proved to be extremly difficult. Seems to me one should work their way up to the the Photoshop program(s). Does anyone know of a website that gives detailed directions to photoshop. I bought the book "Photoshop 7 Wow Book".. and even that is quite confusing. Is it just me or is photoshop confusing to a beginner?? Please help! :bow Thank you!!
Courtney

Comments

• Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Photoshop is VERY confusing for the beginner! It's crazy confusing. There are classes offered just for photoshop.

I can't recommend any sites though. I am a fan of Scott Kelby's books on photoshop. By using them I have gotten more comfortable and been able to slowly get more advanced.
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    I started working with Photoshop a couple years ago and it was overwhelming at first. I am still no pro, but I can at least now do most things I wish to accomplish.

There are a ton of video tutorials out on the net that I found to be very helpful. Approach the program one step at a time instead of sitting down and saying, I’m going to read this book and learn Photoshop. So find a task you want to do and then find a video tutorial and just go for it. You would be surprised how much you learn while doing. You will also find out that there is more than one way to accomplish something.

Good luck.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 3, 2009
    I recently started a course of graphic design (for my major) and it requires me to use Photoshop7. Since I have just started photography and have never used photoshop before it has proved to be extremly difficult. Seems to me one should work their way up to the the Photoshop program(s). Does anyone know of a website that gives detailed directions to photoshop. I bought the book "Photoshop 7 Wow Book".. and even that is quite confusing. Is it just me or is photoshop confusing to a beginner?? Please help! bowdown.gif Thank you!!
    Photoshop is a beast, so it's not just you. The user interface is designed for the expert, not the n00b, so it takes lots of getting used to. I would ask your instructor for advice on an introductory book. I'm sure you will get a number of recommendations here, but you should keep in mind that graphic designers are likely to use a different set of tools and techniques than photographers. The best approach is probably to use a book and online tutorials to get the big picture of how things work--layers, masks, selections, blending modes, etc. Then let your needs for particular assignments drive the learning process. Patience is essential, but since it's really all ones and zeros you can experiment all you want without cost. If you get stuck on a particular problem, post a question here and lots of people will gladly help. Good luck.
  • Options
    AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    I recently started a course of graphic design (for my major) and it requires me to use Photoshop7.

[..]
    Just a thought... As Photoshop 7 is now quite old, could you be required to use Photoshop Elements ver.7 which is the current version and a simpler version of Photoshop.

If this were to be the case, your book requirements and any tutorials from the internet would, of course, be different.

Anthony.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited January 3, 2009
    Courtney,

As has been explained by the previous posters, learning Photoshop is a task that takes some serious effort and time. It can be daunting for beginners.

Photoshop 7 is no longer current, but 4 generations back. But PS7 was probably better for graphics than photography. You can still find some books about PS7, many of them from used book stores.

Do a search on Amazon and I am sure you will find a bunch.

One suggestion I will make, is to learn the appropriate Photoshopkeyboard shortcuts as quickly as you can.

Photoshop is set up with drop down menus to make it appear less intimidating to beginners, but pros quickly learn that keyboard shortcuts are much much faster IF you know them cold. Do not try to learn them all at once - there are dozens and dozens - just try to incorporate a few new ones every week or two, it will really speed things up for you.

The task of trying to learn photography skills and technique, as well as Photoshop skills can be a lot to tackle, vut a lot of fun as your skills grow. So jump right in, stick with it, and it will gradually become second nature.

I have a copy of Scott Kelby's "Photoshop 7 Down and Dirty Tricks". If you would like it, PM me and we will see if we can't arrange to get it to you, Courtney.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    THANK YOU THANK YOU ALL so very much for your help. As the course goes along I will prob. be posting alot of questions.. is the the right place??
    Courtney
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited January 3, 2009
    Yup, this is the place.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin