NAIA College BBall

Digital IllusionsDigital Illusions Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
edited January 7, 2009 in Sports
Images from tonights Oregon Tech vs. Corbin College basketball game. shots are 50mm, f/2.5, 1/500 sec. ISO400, 380ex flash. C and C please. :thumb

447694376_LckmX-M-1.jpg

447694920_5C6Ri-M-1.jpg

447694919_fEAiQ-M-1.jpg

447695922_kiD2S-M-1.jpg

447695900_qyp5p-M.jpg

Here is the rest of them http://www.digitalillusions.us/gallery/6994342_wSZiX#447696043_bwudW
Brian C. Gailey, Owner / Operator
Digital Illusions Photography & Design
1764 Shawna Ct, Klamath Falls OR, 97603
Email | Website | Blog | Facebook | MySpace |Newsletter | Subscribe

"The Race is long but in the end it is only with yourself" ~Unknown

Comments

• clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Nice action, but are very dark. Are you directing your flash directly towards the players or bouncing it off the ceiling?
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Digital IllusionsDigital Illusions Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Nice action, but are very dark. Are you directing your flash directly towards the players or bouncing it off the ceiling?

the flash is directly on the players. the celing is about 40 foot high so bounce isnt going to happen.

• Anderson-PhotographyAnderson-Photography Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited January 3, 2009
    the flash is directly on the players. the celing is about 40 foot high so bounce isnt going to happen.

The action is very nice but the background is a tad dark. Have you thought about putting your flash on a superclamp with Pocket Wizards and mounting it up in the stands to bounce off the ceiling?
    edited January 4, 2009
    The action is very nice but the background is a tad dark. Have you thought about putting your flash on a superclamp with Pocket Wizards and mounting it up in the stands to bounce off the ceiling?

unfortunately the school does not allow such extra flash activity. they almost dont allow on camera flashes. they are touchy on this subject. there is also a unwritten rule of photography only during the first half too.

personally i like the dark background if forces the eye to focus on the players. but thats my opinion. any other advice?

• jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009

If you use ISO 1600, bounce flash off the ceiling or a back wall is an option. If the pics are exposed well, there will not be much noise.

Personally, I don't like the the dark background as it doesn't capture the real look of the game.
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Actually, it's not so much the dark background that is the problem - it's the fact the field of light isn't broad enough to properly illuminate the players. If all the players were properly exposed the background wouldn't be an issue but there are areas of the players that are underexposed - with the white uniforms being just about blown.

I wish I could give some good advice here but I'm not a big fan of mounted flash for basketball.
    edited January 6, 2009
    There is another game tonight. i will try some of the suggestions mentioned and see what i get.

thanks for the help. thumb.gif

edited January 6, 2009
    There is another game tonight. i will try some of the suggestions mentioned and see what i get.

thanks for the help. thumb.gif

well unfortunately i will not be posting any new photos from tonight. just i was going to shoot a few test shots during the womans game....
    the camera died.... in the middle of a shot, holding the shutter button to focus it just shut off... changed the battery... no good. removed the grip, changed the battery... no good. headscratch.gif i guess it is off the local camera shop to get a waranty repair.

could be a good reason to upgrade i guess...

• jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    bummer:cry
  • sportsshooter06sportsshooter06 Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    I am very suprised , you were allowed to shoot with camera mounted flash.

The photos are very dark, I am not a fan of using camera mounted flash to shoot indoor sports. I understand, not everyone can have a camera that is capable of producing enough light, without the terrible noise.

The action is ok, you really need to lighten up the photos. If I was using camera mounted light, i would want to balance the light , make everything more even. The light should be used to achieve a useable shot, not to be obvious and overwhelming. Lighting should make the shot look more natural, enhance the colors. Please try and adjust your settings. Brighten the background. A friend who uses flash, shoots at 1/800 ISO . Hope all of this helps.
  • sportsshooter06sportsshooter06 Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Images from tonights Oregon Tech vs. Corbin College basketball game. shots are 50mm, f/2.5, 1/500 sec. ISO400, 380ex flash. C and C please. thumb.gif

Here is the rest of them http://www.digitalillusions.us/gallery/6994342_wSZiX#447696043_bwudW

I delighted the photos, so i could give some help on your settings. 1/500 with the flash, The flash duration, becomes your shutter speed, so you can lower the shutter to the sync speed of the camera. Try 1/250 this will brighten the background. Bump up the ISO try 1 stop higher. See what you get, this may be a step in the right direction.

Good luck