Making due with what's available

NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
edited January 4, 2009 in Landscapes
This past summer my wife and I were walking on a "beach" in Prince William Sound. I was looking for wild flowers so was carrying my D200 with a 105 macro lens. She had her little Canon S2 along. It was a beautiful, or I should say THE beautiful, clear summer day so I was wearing polarized sun glasses. At low tide the golden colored seaweed on the rocks is exposed. I turned around and saw this view but didn't have a wide angle lens. My wife took a couple of shots but they looked like crap. Then it dawned on me that I had my polarizer for the 105 in my pocket. I simply held the polarizer against the lens of the Canon and took this photo.

107538693.jpg

Did I just admit that I took a picture with a CANON p/s that I couldn't get with a Nikon D200 ??? :scratch
Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...

Comments

• jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    I love these kinds of stories. Great image! Good quick thinking!
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
  • Jazmyn76Jazmyn76 Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    ha! the shot is worth it! well done!
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Thanks for the comments. The toughest part was seeing well enough though that cheap viewfinder to be able to tell when the polarizer was lined up ne_nau.gif
    Dan

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    rolleyes1.gif Not sure if that was experience, or just good luck!? Great story and great shot!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    I hope your wife doesn't read this forum... :D

Good job of making due, those are some great peaks. Could you get a reflection in the lake?

Shooting landscapes in the middle of the day without a polarizer is often asking for trouble (even more trouble than shooting with a P&S), you made the right call.
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    I hope your wife doesn't read this forum... :D

Good job of making due, those are some great peaks. Could you get a reflection in the lake?
    Yeah she could take that wrong, couldn't she eek7.gif

I did take a couple of shots with the reflections but there was so much seaweed and crap floating in the water that it didn't turn out all that great. Here's one that my lovely bride took a bit earlier from on board the boat. I did the PP and couldn't bring out any more detail in the shadows without it getting pretty grainy. The light spots on the water in the BG are patches of ice. In salt water.

107769551.jpg
    Dan