Options

LR2 Auto Something?

Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
edited January 18, 2009 in Finishing School
Ok, so I have imported a bunch of my photos into LR2 and down in the thumbnail preview bar they look fine, but when I click on one to view it in the large screen to edit or something, while it says loading, then it does some sort of auto adjustments to the color and sometimes exposure. For Example, I've been taking some shots of a beautiful blue sky during a sunset with my 10-22 with a polarizer filter on, in the thumbnail preview bar on the bottom, the sky is blue, once I click on it, it looks blue for a couple seconds, then when it's done loading, everything turns a turqoise color. It's never done this before, anyone have any ideas one what could be causing this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    atbatb Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    ... the sky is blue, once I click on it, it looks blue for a couple seconds, then when it's done loading, everything turns a turqoise color..

Are these raw files you are working with? I think that when LR2 first renders the thumbnails it applies a jpeg algorithm. The, when it is fully rendered it apply the current settings from the develop module. I am only guessing at this as I have notice the same behavior in LR.

Check what the Profile is in the Camera Calibration section of the Develop module. Also, have some presets been inadvertently added to your import settings?

Just some ideas...hope it helps.

Andrew

Andrew Barton - Life & Landscape
    http://nowhereimages.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    The initial preview is the embedded preview built by the camera in either a Raw (low rez) or the actual JPEG. LR builds an initial preview based on your current default settings for rendering. So you see the "old" preview getting updated with the "new" and currently "correct" preview rendering. You might need to mess around with the default rendering settings. You can also set the preview size on import and for Raw's, actually accept the default embedded rendering (Mimimal). But eventually that incorrect preview will get updated when you alter the controls or build an actual LR preview.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    atb wrote:
    Are these raw files you are working with? I think that when LR2 first renders the thumbnails it applies a jpeg algorithm. The, when it is fully rendered it apply the current settings from the develop module. I am only guessing at this as I have notice the same behavior in LR.

Check what the Profile is in the Camera Calibration section of the Develop module. Also, have some presets been inadvertently added to your import settings?

Just some ideas...hope it helps.

Andrew
    I always shoot in RAW, only if unless for a very specific reason do I shoot in JPEG. But all these problems are happening with my RAW files. Not very familiar with the intricacies of LR2, so I don't do much in it aside from basic editing. I just played around with the Profile in the Camera Calibration section. It was set to Adobe Standard. I switched it to Adobe Landscape and it made the picture look WAY better. Is this something I have to switch everytime or can I have it always be set to landscape? My camera itself is in Landscape mode.

Here are my import settings... Are they correct? Should they be different?
    adsfed9.png

Sorry for the late Reply...Didn't have easy acess to internet on my vacation and just got home. So now I'm back.

Thanks for the ideas and help.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    arodney wrote:
    The initial preview is the embedded preview built by the camera in either a Raw (low rez) or the actual JPEG. LR builds an initial preview based on your current default settings for rendering. So you see the "old" preview getting updated with the "new" and currently "correct" preview rendering. You might need to mess around with the default rendering settings. You can also set the preview size on import and for Raw's, actually accept the default embedded rendering (Mimimal). But eventually that incorrect preview will get updated when you alter the controls or build an actual LR preview.

As stated in my previous reply, I'm not SUPER familiar with editing terminology or the intracicies of LR. Having said that, I don't really understand what you said. Sorry...:-/ But thanks for the reply.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    The preferences for building initial thumbnails is found in the Import dialog (minimal, Standard, etc).

The preference above is based on an embedded JPEG in the DNG after rendering one in LR (after the step above).
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    arodney wrote:
    The preferences for building initial thumbnails is found in the Import dialog (minimal, Standard, etc).

The preference above is based on an embedded JPEG in the DNG after rendering one in LR (after the step above).

Oh ok. Here is that window:
    dfgdqm0.png
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2009
    I cannot find the official reference, but I believe that LR2 uses the Adobe RGB space for minimal and standard previews and it uses ProPhoto space for 1:1 previews. Why they don't let us pick one space and stick with it, I don't know. So, you could notice differences when switching previews, but going from blue to turquoise sounds pretty extreme.

RAW has no color space, so if you are shooting RAW exclusively, the in-camera settings have no effect other than to what you see on the preview generated for the LCD. Shooting JPEG or RAW+ will have an effect on the JPEGs. It's all LR's doing when it comes to previews generated from RAWs.

As you mentioned, you can also play with different profiles by changing the camera calibration selection in the last section of the right hand column in Develop. Apparently they have profiled numerous cameras and included an Adobe rendering alongside the manufacturers rendering. I notice big differences between those presets. I'm not sure how to make one the default.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2009
    Terrence wrote:
    As you mentioned, you can also play with different profiles by changing the camera calibration selection in the last section of the right hand column in Develop. Apparently they have profiled numerous cameras and included an Adobe rendering alongside the manufacturers rendering. I notice big differences between those presets. I'm not sure how to make one the default.

That's what I need to figure out. Pretty much every landscape shot I have, I had to switch the camera profile to camera landscape from adobe standard. Other presets worked differently for other types of shots, portraits, etc... But landscape made the biggest difference with the originally blue sky, that LR2 turned more teal-ish, then once I switched it to landscape, it was perfect. I just had to do it to every picture. and it was annoying. What was weird though, was when the preview first shows up in the window, it looked right and as it loaded, that's when it changed to the wrong color. I dunno. I'll just switch it to landscape manually every time I guess.
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2009
    LR2 will remember defaults specific to your camera and ISO. They seem to have gone for maximum customization specific to bodies and ISOs, rather than blanket defaults. Try one of the following approaches and see what you think.

#1. Make a minor tweak to Adobe's Develop defaults

Pick a new image you haven't worked on and don't have any prior adjustments you care about losing.

(1) In Develop, click the Reset button at the bottom right.
    (2) Select the calibration profile you wish to be your new default.
    (3) Hold down the Alt/Option key. That Reset button will change to "Set Default..." Click it.
    (4) Click the "Update to Current Settings" button in the dialog box that pops up.

Repeat for different ISOs and cameras as needed.

#2. Completely customize your Develop defaults for different cameras and ISOs

Pick a new image you haven't worked on and don't have any prior adjustments you care about losing.

(1) In Develop, work on it "just enough" to get the default settings you want (i.e. sharpening, calibration, etc.), so you are happy with a "starter" position for all new images for this camera and ISO.
    (2) Hold down the Alt/Option key. The Reset button (lower right) will change to "Set Default..." Click it.
    (3) Click the "Update to Current Settings" button in the dialog box that pops up.

Repeat for different ISOs, as you may want different default settings to deal with color and luminance noise, on top of the other settings.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2009
    Terrence wrote:
    I cannot find the official reference, but I believe that LR2 uses the Adobe RGB space for minimal and standard previews and it uses ProPhoto space for 1:1 previews

Draft mode uses Adobe RGB (1998) for output. Unless you're in Draft mode, all images get sent through to the printer in ProPhoto, regardless of original color space (they are converted to ProPhoto as LR process them). In Draft mode, everything is sent through as AdobeRGB, regardless of original color space. Camera generated previews are assumed to be in sRGB and LR doesn't color convert when reading and storing them. Otherwise, if you have rendered previews, they get rendered as ProPhoto RGB (V2).
    Andrew Rodney