First attempt at self portraits

GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
edited January 3, 2009 in People
Have had my new camera for a while, and figured it was time to attempt a self portrait or two.

Appreciate any comments on how to improve the shots. I had a lot of trouble posing, couldn't figure out where to look. :scratch

447999666_ZbXvk-L.jpg

447999581_VSUj4-L.jpg

447999591_2eGSX-L.jpg

Comments

• KTBoom2006-E510KTBoom2006-E510 Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    I like the 3rd one a lot
    ~Katie~
    :barb

http://www.kc1stphotography.com

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • jethibodjethibod Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Nice shots! I just started playing around with self portraits, too, and was really uncomfortable with where to look. I finally found that if I looked at the flash, just above the lens, I felt a bit more natural *and* my eyes opened up just a bit, too! I'm impressed with the third shot because of how you framed it. Did you use a timer or a remote?
    Jen

Live today like you'll wish you would have 10 years in the future. You only get one life; this is it...live it up. -
    Joy Nash
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    jethibod wrote:
    I'm impressed with the third shot because of how you framed it. Did you use a timer or a remote?

Thank you. It was a little bit of trial and error, and absolutely zero legitimate technique.

-- Selected the farthest left focus point, which became the highest in the frame.
    -- Held the camera on its side in my right hand, ring finger on the shutter.
    -- Half-depressed pointed right at my face, recomposed a bit to the side, and took the shot.

Took about 5 tries to get it framed right. Fairly aggravating actually, as I spent much more time with the tripod trying to get the sitting/posed shots to work, using improvised reflectors, self timer, etc. and didn't like them at all. lol3.gif

Edit to add: All shot with Pentax K200D, 50mm F1.4 lens, no flash.
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    #3 is a big winner.

I found that going with as natural as I can be, even though its tough when looking at a lens makes the best shot.

You look "real" in #3 and I think that's why it is a winner!

Z

"
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.