Shadows over the dunes

davemandaveman Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
edited January 4, 2009 in Landscapes
This is a sunset at the Great Sand Dunes National Monument in Southern Colorado.

Thanks for looking.

Dave Dilli

CC appreciated.

p684251761-4.jpg

Comments

• Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Very nice textures in the sand.

thumb.gif
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • hiroProtagonisthiroProtagonist Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    I'm usually not a fan of people in landscape photos, but in this shot they add a very interesting element. Their shadows, the foot prints, and the way you composed them in the lower left corner really set up the story of this shot.
    "But you and I, we’ve been through that, and this is not our fate. - Dylan 1968"
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    This is great! Wonderful composition and the light/color of the sand is awesome.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Perfect!!! I love the shadows, the lines, the people. Wonderful, wonderful clap.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 4, 2009
    Great lighting and composition. thumb.gif And good job in combining what I'm assuming are random people in your landscape shot too. They people add scale, and the footprints now tell a story rather than detracting from the shot. nod.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • davemandaveman Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Thanks
    Thanks for the comments everyone. The Great Sand Dunes NP in Southern Colorado is a fantastic place to hike and photograph. It is fairly remote with few amenities, but that is part of the attraction. It has the tallest sand dunes in the Americas (at least according to their brochure) - over 750 ft tall I think.

In this case I was struggling to find something to anchor my shot against all the rolling dunes, when this couple walked across this ridge.

Thanks again for looking and comments.

Dave Dilli